HELP with laptop in boot loop!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiancee's computer is stuck in a loop and won't boot into Windows. I was installing the software for an HP all-in-one printer on it and when it re-booted, it goes from the Avaretec splash screen to the first Windows (XP, SP2) start screen and then re-boots itself. The next time it goes to the "Windows failed to start normally" screen and I can get to Safe Mode, but I'm not sure what to do now.

What's the best way to recover? She doesn't know yet and I have to leave town for a few days on Friday. My tail's going to be in the ringer if I can't get it going!!

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I know I can bludgeon it and reset the whole computer, but I was hoping for a bit more elegant way to do this. My assumption of course is that the printer install has somehow trashed the boot sequence.....the computer is relatively new and had no other issues.

THANKS!!!!!

If the printer really caused the problem and you can get to safe mode just uninstall the driver. It should fix things. :)

I'm very much hoping it's that straight forward. I haven't worked in safe mode much, so I assume that's one of the things it will let you do....go through control panel and just do a 'normal' uninstall? Maybe also manually delete any remnants of the install like directories if they get left behind? But I assume the .dll's and such that it put into the boot sequence are what is causing the problem.

Fingers crossed. Tonight will be my first chance at it again.

Thanks.

if you can get to safe mode,
try this:
settings
control panel
system
advanced
startup and recovery - click settings

uncheck automatically restart.
check write an event to the system log
this way, you will get an explaining of what is happenning.

Got it....will do. I know that like in Photoshop, there can be many ways to accomplish something. I just wanted to get some ideas as what to try first that would be non-destructive.

One other thing, though, if I force it not to re-boot, is there potential for that doing anything damaging if I haven't actually corrected that problem? I assume it's in the loop for a reason, so to speak, so just wondering about that issue.

Oh, and I also forgot to look for it because it was a 'hurry up' situation, but there should have been a 'boot to last known good configuration' option. I might give that a try as well. Again, the computer had zero issues prior and booted up fine when I was going to put the printer on it.

Thanks!

If yu still can't get going, this might be worth a try...

Boot from your Windows XP CD.... when prompted select Use Recovery Console....Screen will then change from the nice blue to a black screen not unlike DOS.... at this point you may be asked which partition you wish to enter, it will give you options. You will probably want number 1....at the prompt type in CHKDSK/P

wait until it finishes (will take several minutes)

when finished type EXIT

Remove CD, and wait for Windows to start up.

If this does not cure the problem, follow the same proceduer, but at the prompt type CHKDSK/R

This will take longer, so try it last.

All the best.

Follow-up.....solved problem

The 'boot to last known good configuration' worked and got me out of the jam. When it did boot, the HP install that apparently was still in progress finished without incident and I was able to re-boot afterward without incident, so all is well. Go figure.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back