Help with motherboard swap?

Hi I would like some insight on the subject please. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 (had it for a while). I want to replace the motherboard on it with a ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3 Intel P67 ATX DDR3 2133. Fisrt is that possible, and second would i have to do anything other than hook up the componets. The fan and disc drives. Or should i just look for a diffrent motherboard. My main thing is that I want a computer for gaming and I dont want to have to buy a new one. (Just bought one) So if i could do anything to this old dell; what would it be? I am just gonna use it for Emulators and Flight sims. I dont want to spend to much money. The most I will go is 400$. Could I replace the processor with a i7? Please any thoughts at all let me know. Thank you and have a good day.

Mitchell

Your current motherboard and CPU is not compatible with the new SandyBridge line.

You will need to purchase a new motherboard, and a new CPU and new RAM in order to use it. Your existing hard disks and optical drives should be compatible (assuming the motherboard has IDE connectors if they're needed). The PSU is unlikely to be powerful enough as well, so will also require replacement, and its also likely a new case will be required.

If your looking to upgrade your computer on a budget I would just purchase a whole new system. Self-build only starts saving money with enthusiast or gaming systems. Budget systems including an OS are often cheaper purchased pre-built by major manufacturers.

One other problem is hooking up the front panel connectors, the On switch, hard drive LED, etc. Dell usually uses a proprietary case-to-motherboard connector so when you use a non-Dell motherboard you will have difficulty connecting it without cutting it up somehow.

Back