Help with sound device?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all

ok heres my problem i recently reinstalled my Xp and i saved all my drivers first so i could put them back in after.. however my computer now says i have no sound device and it seems i never saved the driver for it.. is that the problem?? and how do i fix it?

Download and run Everest Home (it is free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop and then click on 'Computer' then on 'Summary', then go to the VERY top of the screen and click on 'report', then 'quick report-summary' and then 'plain text' and save it then go to C:/programs/lavalys and open that folder then open Everest Home sub-folder and then reports sub-folder and click on the report.

This will open it in a text editor (probably Notepad) and then use your mouse to highlight ALL the debug stuff at the bottom of the report and delete it and then save that file again and then copy and paste it to here.

Your description is lacking some important details.

Are you using a customer sound card or just the default sound card/device provided by the computer manafacturer?

What does Device Manager say about your sound device? Any big yellow question marks or exclamation marks?

Try deleting the device in Device Manager then adding it again. This should kick in the "Found New Hardware" wizard. See if WinXP has a default driver that works for it. If not, post back.

ok i think i did it right.. this is what i got

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name 36ABD556FD21450
User Name Kat

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 530, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Asus P5GD1-FM (FSC OEM) (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale i915P
System Memory 256 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (01/10/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
Video Adapter SAPPHIRE RADEON X300SE - Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter SAPPHIRE RADEON X300SE (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon X300 (RV370)
Monitor HP V72 [17" CRT] (CNQ42202VG)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Disk Drive WDC WD1600JD-55HBB0 (149 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 152625 MB (136933 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse Logitech USB First/Pilot Mouse+

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (172.188.189.19)
Modem Smart Link 56K Voice Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB Device Logitech USB First/Pilot Mouse+
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

Do you have your motherboard support cd?

If not, just go to the Asus support site and look up your mobo and the drivers for the Intel sound chip will be there - right now the Asus support site has crashed but they are usually up and about soon.

http://www.asus.com/index.aspx

Thanks. that site isnt working, is there anywhere else that would have my driver? and what is a mobo? and what do i ask for in search boxes??? i know i ask alot of ?'s but my name says it all :0(

What you want for XP is: Realtek ALC861 Audio Driver V5.10.0.5032 for Windows 2000/XP

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

If that has problems, uninstall and try:

Realtek ALC861 Audio Driver V5.10.0.5136 for Windows 2000/XP(WHQL)/2003 & 64bit XP/2003(WHQL)

At that site, enter motherboard, 775, and any one of the P5GD1 names offered - I suggested the VM and then the straight P5GD1 above.

To install drivers from the internet:

go into Windows Explorer, left click on Desktop, then File, then New and then Folder - name the folder XXXDrivers (where XXX = type, eg, AudioDrivers)

go to the site for your driver, find the RIGHT one for your mobo and OS,(click on the nearest site to you if appropriate) and then download button - when asked where to 'save' the download specify your desktop folder XXXDrivers and wait until the download is complete.

Once it is done, clear your screen and click on the desktop folder and then on the file inside - if it is a zip or rar file it will need to be unzipped or unpacked - make sure if you are asked to specify where to unzip/unpack to tell it to do so to the XXXDrivers folder.

Once you are done that, uninstall the old drivers for the device and then select the device and specify update drivers and direct the search to the folder you made (don't let Windows do it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back