Help with virus in external USB drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I just found this website from browsing through the web for remedies for my current situation and found this site to be quite lively and active. Looks I found the right place! Anyways, here is my situation:

My pc has just recently been infected with a virus called W32.Gammima.AG. My Norton was able to remove it but it just keeps coming back. The attack has escalated to the point where it constantly loads my CPU to 100% after loading into windows. I was able to pull the task manager screen up and see a process named “Kxvo.exe” that looks suspicious, I search and removed it from all folder and registry, but it just keeps coming back. I’m paranoid with viruses so I proceeded to format my pc and backed my important files to my external USB hard drive. After the reinstall, my pc was back to normal for a day, so I plugged my external USB drive back into my pc and CRAP there it is again, the same virus, and now my pc is lagging again. I’m pretty sure the virus made a copy of itself into my USB drive. I then researched online for this kxvo.exe and found it to be a pretty nasty virus that will just keep duplicating itself after deleting it and will make copies to whatever external drive it attaches to.

I have already read through the 8 step preliminary instructions and will perform it, but I like to know what I should do about my external USB drive. There is no where else I can back my files to other than external drives, but the drives will just be infected if I plug it into my already infected pc. What are the steps I should do to remove this virus from my pc and external USB drive and any safe ways to back up my files?

Thank you so much for the read and possibly helping me. I appreciated.

Hi Tranzaddict

You back up the files and Viruses too !

Then your computer is cleaned
Then we worry about scanning your USB drive
You could actually remove any "autorun" file from your USB drive first if you like
Anyway, it will be scanned once your clean :)

Thanks for the reply.

So get rid of the virus in my system first and then worry about the external usb drive?

What if after cleaning out the system and then plugging the external drive back in, would the virus in the drive go back into the pc by itself even if I dont copy any files from the usb drive into my pc? From researching this virus that uses the kxvo.exe, it seems like this virus will copy itself to anything it attaches to automatically.

That's right, your system cleaned first

Regarding what to do about your flash drive being infected
Infected flash drives cannot infect any computer on their own (ie they are not an Operating System)
But that "Autorun" issue on flash drives can cause re-infection
Make sure that any Autorun.inf file is removed from the flash drive first

Yes I should also say that you can have any Virus known to man on a Flash drive, also containing your most important data, and guess what? Nothing will happen
Flash drive files are static (no movement, nothing)

This is in respect to those plug in USB flash drives of course

i have same problem too.

scroll down since i need 4 post to post link and pics

upload2world_bdc81.jpg

upload2world_f8565.jpg

im going to remove the autorun first by trying the steps from here, but i dont get the 3rd step. and will this remove the virus that i have in my pendrive?

Thanks
Although this has nothing to do with this thread, you understand?

Instead of trying to get extra posts, by the way. Why not just copy and paste what was said:
1. Boot your system in Safemode
2. Open your flash drive via Command Prompt (do this via Start->Run->cmd.exe).
3. Change your logged drive to your USB flash drive (e.g. if your flash drive is at drive E: then type E: on the command prompt then press enter)
4. Type ATTRIB -H -R -S AUTORUN.INF then press enter
After reboot, you can now access your drive.

But again, this info is not actually needed here :confused:
Very strange that you would even post this.

ummm since the thread says virus in external USB drive why not post it here.

im not telling him to follow that, im just asking whether it is right to do that to delete the autorun.inf because my pendrive is affected too. so i already tried those steps and deleted the autorun.inf in my pendrive but when i run my computer on a normal mode, the virus is still there. why is that?

sorry that quoting didnt come into my mind and english is my second language hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back