Help with XP Pro install

Status
Not open for further replies.
While installing Xp Pro SP3 I can format the hard drive and start to install but it stops installing at about 33% and will not go any farther. Help Me Please? It is a home made computer and I have 1.8 mhz processor,1 gig memory, and 250 gig hard drive. I had XP Sp1 on it before but the disk was craked so I bought this SP3 and I cannot get it to istall all the way. It is now my daughter's computer for school and I need to get it up if I can.

On the install when it asked about partitions, did you delete ALL the old ones?

Well, time to give us some data - make, model, motherboard, drive types, boot order set, etc.

I think it is a main board mother board not real sure of the brand it was bought at a computer fair in 2002 as a bare bones system. it has a samasung16x dvd drive as the slave and a sony dvdrw 16x as the main dvd drive I gig of ram Kingston, 1.8 mhz processor 1-250 gig maxtor hard drive and 1-40 gig maxtor hard drive 5200rpm on both. boot order is cd rom-hard drive and then floppy drive

On XP install ( all I have installed since Win98 ) I set boot order to floppy, cd/dvd, hd.

Start with whatever drive you want to install to (do not connect drive 2).

At some point you get asked if you have any additional drivers to install - do you? Like Sata, SCSI ?

Can I ask if you had XP sp1 on before how come you didnt just run updates and install sp3 that way, if you just wanted to wipe it clean then fair enough...

Does it just freeze on 33% ? no errors

Have you tried any different hardware i.e ram, hdd etc ?

If you can get hold of another disk say sp2 or sp1 try installing them and updating...

Is the hard drive to motherboard cable 80 wire-40 pin versus 40 wire-40 pin?

If yes, is the drive you are installing to connected to the end connector of the 80 wire-40 pin cable?

If yes, is it jumpered cable select?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back