Hi and a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... just joined. I'm the Technical Coordinator for an in-bound call centre in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Somewhere on my network there is a computer with an IP address of 192.168.1.54. How can I find out what that computer's name is? I don't know what computer it physically is. I'd originally statically assigned that IP to a server and the DNS & DHCP records verify that. Then at some point, I started getting an IP address conflict which killed the NIC on the server from getting an IP. (remember, it was 54). I gave it a new address of 55 and the DNS/DHCP records verify but there's still an active connection to 54 somewhere coz I can ping it.

Any ideas?

Are you on Active Directory?? If so go to the server, go to control panel, administrative tools, then DNS, then forward lookup zones, then your domain. That will give you a lost of all the IP's and computers on the network that have requested DNS

Tried their suggestions... doesn't help. I know the names of all the computers on my network. I have pinged all of them...none come up with IP 54. Yet, I can ping IP 54 and I get a response. That tells me there is a computer somewhere on my network that shouldn't be there. Somehow I need to find out what it's name is or where it is.

gguerra said:
Are you on Active Directory?? If so go to the server, go to control panel, administrative tools, then DNS, then forward lookup zones, then your domain. That will give you a lost of all the IP's and computers on the network that have requested DNS

been there, done that... IP 54 does not show up.

We also have a VPN incoming. Is it possible that a computer connected via VPN would have that IP and cause a conflict??? ( I doubt this but something is using IP 54 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back