High Core Temp with new Forceware 71.84 Driver ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDDR 512 MB

Hi all....I know this Thread has come up before......but....I just installed the WHQL Forceware Driver 71.84 downloaded from NVidea......shows my GPU Core Temp 10 degrees (celcius) warmer than the previous Driver???

Question is.......is my Vid Card really running warmer or is it just a "bug" within the Driver????

I wound up "rolling back to my 66.xx Driver as that one shows Core Temp 49 degrees idle and 60 degrees under load.
You'd thing a WHQL Driver form the NVidea Web Site would be an absolut fool proff Driver...?

Any thoughts on this?

Regards
Bob

From what I've seen on another site, it really is getting hotter. Someone checked the temperature of the air coming out the back of the comuter, and it actually did show it was hotter.

As I can't really see a lot of difference in the actual game performance and IQ of the different drivers, and I don't like my card to run any warmer than it has to, I went back to the 71.20 set, and don't have a problem with these.

And I agree 100% that nVidia should get this fixed, as there have been quite a few driver sets with this problem. I think I read somewhere that they have stated that any driver with a release date after March 12, will not have this problem. So if that's true they are very aware of the problem, I don't see how they could not have known about it earlier though.

By the way, you can make your temps come down by downloading nVTweak and overlocking the 2D speed to 402, and then resetting back to default if you want. The temps will come down that 10 degrees or so. The only problem is, you have to do this every time you reboot.

I'm sticking with the 71.20's. Don't ask me why I picked that one, it just seemed as good as the rest to me.

hey is you older 66.xx driver whql certified,maybe the old one one showing the wrong temp and the newer one the right one.these temps are standard for the newer generation of gpu,they run quiet hot(they have 270 million transistors on them VS. a presscott which has 160 million only,and is probably the hottest processor in the market)like olefarte said you can download nvtweak and some other utility to underclock your core or overclocking the 2d......just be careful not to go too high.good luck

shadow_29 said:
hey is you older 66.xx driver whql certified,maybe the old one one showing the wrong temp and the newer one the right one.
I've thought the same thing. But this is a highly talked about problem at another forum dedicated to nVidia. I haven't done this, but someone actually took a thermometer and checked the air coming out the back of the computer before and after the new driver install, and the air was in fact hotter. Or I should say they reported it was. There are some people that don't have this problem, but from what I've read, the vast majority of 6800 series cards do.

This has been going on in almost all of the 71.xx drivers and up to the 76.10. I've thought exactly as you, in that the real temps may actually be higher and the earlier versions were wrong. I'm not really sure, and I'm to lazy to check the air coming out the back. I'm content to use earlier drivers that don't have this problem, at least for now.

One way or the other, it's strange that with as much talk as I've seen in at least two other well known forums I read regularly, that nVidia has not addressed this matter publicly.

Nvidea Drivers

Ok...here's the skinny.....I was running the older WHQL Driver 67.66.....Temps were 49 and 59 celcius idle/under load.

Installed Driver 66.93 (not WHQL) and get the same Temps...

With the new WHQL 71.84 Temps are up by 10 degrees. Were the old Temps wrong....?...not really sure.

I agree with Olefart though.....don't want my GPU running any warmer than it has to!
As for Overclocking...I do have Cool Bits installed and have OC the 3D settings to 401 Mhz / 1.12 Ghz before getting artifacts and backing off. I have stock cooling on my GPU Board and decided to back it right off to the stock settings......besides.....other than 3DMark scores being higher I didn't really notice a big difference in game play.

Also.....I read in either Win XP Tweaks or NVidea Tweaks that you should be careful when Overclocking that you don't Overclock the settings in 2D mode as it can reult in unstable goofy opersting system...and have read similar posts on that subject.....beware playing around with 2D settings!

Cheers
Bob

My temps are similar to yours, but a little higher, 55/65.

I agree with your thoughts on overclocking. I don't see the need to overclock as all the games I play run great, and I haven't run 3DMark in quite some tiime. But I did try the 2D overclock to 401/402 and my temps did come down. I then reset it back to default 370 and the temps stayed down, except when I rebooted, they were back up.

I've see a lot of people at nVNews that have done this overclock and I've not seen a problem with it yet. But I'm not going to leave it at 402, but just long enough to try it out even though I didn't have any problem with it.

But as I said, I'm going to stick with a driver that I don't have to worry about this. Maybe nVidia will get this fixed soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back