Hollywood wants to offer $30 movie rentals next month

Emil

Staff

Would you pay $30 to rent a movie? Hollywood hopes that you will.

Late next month, a service called Home Premiere will allow consumers to view films on-demand two months after they exit theaters. This is before they're out on DVD, which is typically three months after leaving theatres (Netflix gets them even later). For the privilege of seeing such films earlier from the comfort of their own homes, viewers will be charged a mere $30 for a two-day or three-day rental, according to Variety (we checked, and the story was not published on April 1st).

Hollywood thinks that families will jump on the opportunity. Apparently, they will calculate the costs of paying for movie tickets for everyone in the household, possibly the need for hiring a babysitter, and the savings of not purchasing food and other concessions.

Warner Bros., Sony, Universal, and 20th Century Fox want to offer the service through DirectTV (20 million customers) and some Comcast markets (in certain cities for an undisclosed period of time). The Digital Entertainment Group, which helped Hollywood launch and brand Blu-ray, will assist in building the Home Premiere brand. The companies will initially offer films such as "Just Go With It," "Cedar Rapids," "The Adjustment Bureau," "Paul" and "Hall Pass."

Apparently, the idea is to offer flicks that have disappeared from theaters and have a large appeal among adults who didn't rush out to see it on the big screen. Studios believe those folks will pay a hefty sum to watch the movie at home. We're sure most would agree that $29.99 for a VOD rental is outrageous, but it's cheaper than paying theater admittance for a large family. Despite that poor value, theater operators seem concerned about the service as it could encourage some people to stay home.

We seriously doubt the project will be successful. On the bright side, hopefully this will move us closer to a future with shorter a window between theatrical and video-on-demand release.

Permalink to story.

Heartily agree with you Emil. No way this gets off the ground. 15$? Maybe, but in no way is $30 a smart price point. But, as you said, hopefully it reduces the time it takes movies to make it to dvd and bluray. We shall see. We shall see.

if they do simultaneous release, and make it $19 i'll pay for it. but it has to be blu-ray quality and HD sound tho. other than that... NOT in a million years. i don't even RUSH to go and get my netflix anyway. these hollywood big studios.... sometimes it amazes me that they're still stuck in the dinosaur age thinking. they really need to get out some more.

If you can pay 10 bucks to watch it in theatres, why the flying **** would you pay 30 bucks 2 months later?

19$ after a month from the theaters (where the hype is still strong) has more possibilities to success.

oh! i get it, they need that much money so the actors pretend to have talent, count me OUT!

Even if it's not an April folls joke...They still have over 12 hours to say that in fact it was a joke and save some face.

$30?...What a joke!

I'd pay $30 if it means I can rip and seed that movie to 50k people. Which is whats gonna happen if this isn't a joke.

You are insanely stupid if u pay anymore than $9 to rent a movie. I see some of u saying u would pay 15 to 20, but not 30?!!! U all are retarded. Im sorry. Im not even the rude type of person but anything above 9 bucks is stupid. And 30 DOLLARS?!!!! So they think people are willing to wait for it to leave theaters where they gould have paid 9 or so bucks to watch it at home for 30 bucks? HUH?

Maybe a week after Theaters for that price but 2 months?? More reasonable would be $9.99. Why do they force piracy upon themselves?

This idea is completely stupid. Way too much money. Hollywood just isn't every going to come to terms with reality

Costing more than Movie ticket... going over our own Internet lines that we pay for... No one better bite! If anything it should be a premium on a pay perview cost.

The truth is I think they are expecting low numbers on this. They don't want to volumize on this so they put the price up so only people with great disposable money might bite. If the price was low, they might stall DVD sales. This the only logical reason I can think. And if they can trick enough people into this, we might be in trouble. So lets all hope this crashes and burns the little tupays off the top execs that though this one up.

Wait... if this is an April fools joke... you are not allowed to post fake news... they day before... it doesn't count!

Back