Home network hardrive speed

FGCUE

Hi

I am looking for some help on my home network trying to speed things up.

I have a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 Wireless Router that runs Comcast Cable.

I bought a Seagate Central 4TB harddrive that I have plugged into LAN1 of the router. It works decent. I like that if I need anything I can access it VIA my phone or chromecast it to a TV. I have about 2 TB of data on the drive. When transferring files the Windows 10 laptop to the Seagate Central - I only get 5-6 MB/s speeds.

I just bought a 8TB Seagate Backup Plus USB 3.0 External Hard Drive (STDT8000100) to back up my 4TB harddrive. I plugged it into the Seagate Central VIA USB. I was hoping that items would transfer faster; but I am only getting 2.5 MB/s transfer rates from the Seagate Central to the Seagate Backup! To copy the 2.4 TB - it has been copying since Saturday and is only 37% of the way completed! There is still 800 GB left to copy!

1) Why is it transferring so slow? Any way to speed it up?
2) Is there any way for the 8TB drive to automatically backup when its done?
3) Is there anyway I can see this 8TB drive on my network like the seagate central?

Thanks!

Seagate Central has one USB 2.0 port for connecting external storage devices.
Seagate Backup Plus does have one USB 3.0 for output.

Still seems very slow for transferring 2 TB of data? Here is says about 8 hrs for 1 TB via USB 2.0.

Its still copying from this weekend and is only at 38% Its been copying since Saturday and is now 3 days later! Several days for not even 1 TB of data? Seems nuts!

So I decided to stop the transfer and plug the seagate backup into my computer.
now getting data from the seagate central drive through the router is about 5 MB/s.

Why is it faster that plugging the external directly into the drive? Is the CAT cable transfer to the router faster than USB?

Is 5 mb/s the right speed for USB? still gonna take a day to get the other 1.5 tb backed up.

Back