Hooking my TV to my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustUhGrrI

OK people of great knowledge. I'm sure you've heard this question a thousand times. I've searched the board a little bit, but haven't found an answer to my problem.

I've hooked my pc to my tv and the screen keeps going black and even crashes my computer. I've tried adjusting my settings but to no avail.

I'm not computer geek or technology wizard... I just thought why the hell am I paying $100/mnth for cable... when Hulu is free. So far this realization hasn't worked out.

I have a year and a half old desktop with a NVIDIA geForce 6150se nForce 430 video card.

My tv is a Sanyo 26" LCD with 1366 x 768 resolution with 720p

I have the two connected with the VGA cable that came with my monitor

I realize the television isn't the greatest and I realize my computer isn't the newest... But is there a way to make this work?

Could it be as simple as buying a new video card?

Oh yeah... also I should point out it works fine while surfing... when I try to watch shows on Hulu is when my computer crashes or the screen goes blank.... and I promise its not my screen saver.

thanks,
ashley :)

I have a Dell Insperion 531s operating on Windows Vista Premium Home Edition.

amd athelon duel processor 2.1 ghz
ram 1gb

Could this possibly an issue with HDCP copy protection? The video card must be so enabled to get your strategy to work.

well i figured out half my problem. my screen saver was off, but i didnt realize there was a power saving mode as well. so i had to turn of my sleep and hibernation modes. the television show and movie watching is going great except during full-screen. thats when my computer crashes and comes up with the crazy blue error screen and restarts a 100 times. so at this point ijust havent been watchng things in full-screen. im assuming that it must mean my video card cant handle the full screen. however the picture is great. but ill download those programs and let you know.

as far as hdcp copy protection... ive gtno clue what that is but i guess ill look that up.

thanks again
ashley

Well, your current card should have no problems, I know it isn't a very high end card, but outputting video to a 2nd monitor (even if its a tv) doesn't require anything special. The fact that it BSOD's when going to full screen made me think it was a driver issue. Have you tried more than 1 driver? You can get old ones from guru3d.com

Have you tried it with a different browser? It could be flash related, IE and Firefox use separate ways (IE will install flash automatically, FF requires manual install), so it may be worth trying a different browser than the one you are using and see if the problem is repeatable.

I don't think a new card is the best solution here, even if it is a solution.

thanks for the advice... i will check out guru3. basically i just checked the nvidia site and it checked my driver and told me i had the most current. i have a strong distaste for IE, ive been using chrome since it came out, but it started to slow down an while ago and ive been using FF. i tried watching hulu and network tv web episodes and it does great except in fullscreen mode. i just thought maybe with the larger tv it was having trouble keeping up and it just crashes. honestly i think id like to start playing some online games and utilizing my pc as such, so i think im going to start upgrading a lot of things anyway. i can just start with a new video card and use it in my new tower. building one from the ground up seems like a lot of fun. lol, ill let you guys and gals know how that works out for me. im fairly bright, just not so much when it comes to computer troubleshooting.

i cant thank you all enough for all your great suggestions.

Those Vundo Trojans can be tough to get rid of. If you didn't turn off system restore before cleaning, the virus may come back

I have a Dell Insperion 531s operating on Windows Vista Premium Home Edition.

amd athelon duel processor 2.1 ghz
ram 1gb

OK, first if you are running Vista Home Premium, and truly only have 1GB of memory installed, that may not be enough to support streaming Hi-Def video.

What is your internet connection speed?

And if "Chrome" started to slow down, so now you are "using FF", do you think you could still have a malware problem. No, of course you don't

And lastly, your TV @ 1368 X 768, isn't big at all! Video cards are affected by resolution not by screen size! So, a monitor with 1920 X 1200 resolution would place more demand on a video card than a TV twice its size with lower resolution. But, even mid-grade cards will generate resolutions up to about 2500 pixels, (on the long axis).

Do you have the latest version of the "Move Media Player" installed?

Use "Task Manager", to determine the percentage of CPU & memory usage during video streaming. (You will have to remain in standard screen, or the task manager will disappear). This assumes the Vista even has a task manager, OS technology has passed me by.

BTW, downloading screen savers is risky business, the Jessica Simpson screen saver, (in example) had about a dozen different pieces of malware. Active content, nasty business you know. Be green, just let the computer go into standby, monitor off!

wohohoo!..easy tiger..

anyways do u get diagnol lines when ur pc freezes up while playing hulu in fullscreen.
i used to have that problem once but updating my nvidia drivers and flash player seemed to automatically solve the issue....apparently the freeze ups occured on every flash video site like youtube,dailymotion when veiwed in fullscreen.

just my 2 cents

wohohoo!..easy tiger..

anyways do u get diagnol lines when ur pc freezes up while playing hulu in fullscreen.
i used to have that problem once but updating my nvidia drivers and flash player seemed to automatically solve the issue....apparently the freeze ups occured on every flash video site like youtube,dailymotion when veiwed in fullscreen.

just my 2 cents
That's great, but if you actually read this thread, the video driver has already been updated. Don't know about Flash though. Is Hulu even Flash? I have the "Move Media Player" installed, needed it for one of the TV sites, forget exactly which one. Hmm,

No good deed......

Well,
if it werent for that egregious and disgracious**** [sic] outburst, i might be inclined to tell her that the 6150se is not a video card, but onboard graphics. but she did...so I wont.

****another Shakespearean like liberty im taking.

Well,
if it werent for that egregious and disgracious**** [sic] outburst, i might be inclined to tell her that the 6150se is not a video card, but onboard graphics. but she did...so I wont.

****another Shakespearean like liberty im taking.

God, I love the word "egregious", it's part of a "tri-fecta" of adjectives, (along with "flagrant and "blatant"), that can also double as premium quality adverbs in a pinch. But, "disgracious", another story altogether, Firefox gave you the big, red, underline on that one. Or as the saying went in days or yore, "the duck did not come down on that one". Although "disgracious" could presumably be further subverted to "disgraciousness", which I gotta say, has quite a ring to it.

The world has passed me by it seems, for verily, my Intel GMA915 does not even possess a socket for a second monitor. That might surely have great utility in crashing my PC, whenever I might desire, nay, long for that to happen. :rolleyes:

im taking my made up word and going home then....

. But, "disgracious", another story altogether, Firefox gave you the big, red, underline on that one. Or as the saying went in days or yore, "the duck did not come down on that one"

well im sure all of Willys 'vocabularic' improvisations weren't a smash hit either :haha::p
oohh, disgraciousness...i like it, very nice indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back