How can I download torrents and not get dropped by my ISP?

treetops

No I am not talking about sharing illegal content.

I get internet for free atm from a relatives work. Anyways my isp turned off my internet last week. I called them and they said they detected I was using a bitorrent type application and they are against there policy because such programs eat up there bandwidth. However 2 years ago I had the exact same thing happen and when I spoke to there techi on the phone he said if I limmitted my uploads to one person then it should be fine. He indicated its the multiple connecting uploads that is the problem and the downloads do not matter. Ok now a few years later poof they no longer offer any info they just repeated we do not allow any bittorrent type program because it takes up to much bandwidth, with no details.

So here I am on techspot, what can I do? Is there a work around?

In programs like uTorrent there is a max number of connections setting. You can reduce that number. I think the default is 300 or 400 in uTorrent. Drop it a bit and you should be fine.

But imho the real answer is to get a better isp...

I'm just a bit curious to who your ISP is? Comcast never has cut me off like that. But years ago when I did use torrents, if I came close to my 250 Gig limit, they would warn, but never cut me off. I guess they feel that I can use all the bandwidth I'm paying for, just to not go over their download size per month thing.

Its a Arizona based company called transcend broadband. They use towers to spread there net. I had the max connectors at 200, 50 per torrent and only downloaded 1 torrent at a time. Now I set it at 50 global 25 per and 1 at a time. Also I turned off uploads, sadly. Until some more time passes or I get some more info I guess im a leech. I downloaded 700 mb last night and haven't had any problems. I'm scared to dl anything during business hours though.

Back