How can I make the hibernate and standby modes work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Legge

I upgraded my IBM desktop computer from Windows 98 SE to Windows XP Home
Edition. Before upgrading I followed Microsoft's advice, and reflashed the BIOS
with the latest XP-compliant update, and downloaded the relevant XP device
drivers for the system's devices and peripherals from IBM's website.

Everything installed properly, but a mysterious "unknown device" keeps being
recognised at startup, and whenever I try using the standby and hibernate modes
the following message comes up:

"The device driver for the 'PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key' is
preventing the machine form entering hibernation. Please close all applications
and try again. If this problem persists, you may need to update this driver."

XP's Device Manager reports that the keyboard is using the XP driver, and that
there is no update available.

I need to know how to make the hibernate and standby modes work.

Any ideas?

Eric,

http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

Does you keyboard have any "special" power management buttons?

You can try changing the keyboard driver forcefully:

Open Device Manager
Choose Update Driver for your keyboard
Select to install from a specific location
Don't search, choose the driver yourself
Untick "Show compatible hardware"
Under [Standard keyboards] choose "Standard 101/102 key..."
(If you find a special driver for your kb then choose that of course)
Ignore the warning messages and install the driver anyway.

Also, you may want to check your BIOS settings in case power
management is done by APM.

Thanks for the attempt, but here is the solution that someone in a newsgroup posted -

As is often still the case, the error message is misleading. The device driver for the keyboard is not at fault here, so even if an update is available, it won't help.

The problem is caused by third-party software that has installed a kernel-mode device driver, which has attached itself to the 18042prt.sys keyboard driver - and it is not compatible with XP. The most common culprit is Adobe Type Manager 4.0 (ATM), which installs the Atmhelpr.sys driver.

As a temporary fix, either uninstall ATM, or use Find, and rename the offending file Atmhelpr.xxx. Doing that disables ATM's font-smoothing effect. If you want to use font-smoothing, you can enable XP's version.

Note that other third-party software can cause the same problem. That is why it is always best to do a clean installation of a new operating system instead of upgrading from one operating system to its successor, because the upgrade doesn't allow you to install and test each piece of software on its own. The upgrading process merely rebuilds the Registry around the installed software, and therefore leaves much of the old operating system in place when it should be removed.

To read a Knowledge Base article on this subject called "Unable to Use Power Management Features", enter the reference Q302414 here -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo&.

That deals with the confusion surrounding the error message. But you still have to sort out the mysterious "unknown device". To track it down, you can search the Windows Registry.

From Start => Run, enter RegEdit, click on OK, click the + beside HKey_Local_Machine, and click on Enum to highlight it. Press the Ctrl and F keys, and enter "unknown" into the search box. When you press the Enter key the window that comes up should show the entry for a device with class "Unknown". This is the unknown device.

Next, look in the other lines in this Registry entry for clues, which will depend on the device. A plug-and-play printer, for example, will have a hardware ID string that usually states the printer's name. But a PCI adapter card, the key for which shows up in the left-hand window, will have a name such as -

Ven_11C1&De_0042&Subsys_00401668.

This string identifies the vendor, the device, and the subsystem. The name of the manufacturer is not usually provided, but knowing the manufacturer of the chipset used on the card, which is provided, is usually enough information to make it possible to obtain the latest driver file for the card.

The identification codes used in the string are listed on several Internet sites, and can easily be found by using the Google search engine. All you have to do is enter "PCI vendor list" in the search box. One such list can be found at - http://www.yourvote.com/pci. The Vendor.txt file explains how to decode the ID information contained in the Registry string.

Once you know the device's manufacturer and model, you can download and install the latest driver file for it from its website, and then the message the shows up at startup should disappear.

Eric,

http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

This same problem happened to me! I couldnt work it out, except after awhile it just went away. It claimed the printer had faulty drivers. Funky XP. Personally I hate the way they setup the operating system. Good engine design (almost never crashes), everything else is terrible. I have professional and its the same as Home cept comes with some extra crap that no1 would ever use. Oh well. Should have stuck to NT. :s

I don't see why you would want to use Hibernate / Standby

I have had nothing but problems with it, PC doesn't respond after it goes away. You have to reboot and start over. So I disable it on everything

Originally posted by Eric Legge
It is often far more difficult to sort out problems with XP than it was to sort the out in Windows 98 / 98SE.

I think the Error log in XP alone makes it twice as easy to sort out problems, than when compared to 98.

Safe mode in XP is inherently better, supporting CDROMs and networks natively. XP offers a great repair utility (Repair through setup and ASR), system restore, Last known good config, a far superior system monitor, more detailed processes listing, backups of system files (file protection) and some very nice system tools (service, disk management and adminstration snap ins).. The list goes on.

No offense intended, but it my personal opinion XP is many times easier to diagnose and repair than any Windows 9x OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back