How do I fry my laptop (ethically)?

I have a compaq 705us. Bought it from a nationally recognized electronics chain. I bought the extended warranty because it was an open box item. Well after about six months the slot where you put the wireless card stopped working (this after I set up the house to have wireless throughout) and the earphone jack worked intermitently. So I sent it for repair they fixed the earpone jack but not the pmcia slot (or whatever its called). 3 months after that I noticed the cat 5 cable while plugged in would disconnect. I'd have to figget with it for about 30 minutes for it to work, by that time I forgot what I was trying to get online for. I sent it back and told them to fix the pmcia slot and the cat 5 jack. They sent it back saying everything was fixed, NOT. I think they didn't even open the box and sent it back. Do I send it back and be without it for another 6 weeks and have all the same problems or fry it and get and new one? I prefer the 2nd option. Tell me how.

demand your laptop be fixed. Take 'em to small claims.

otherwise add oil, salt and pepper. Set stove on high and scramble for 5-10 minutes.

I don't recommend the 2nd option, but just for fun, this should work:

1) stick a small strip of cardboard in your fan exhaust so that it goes between the blades. And thus stopping the fan from spinning.

2) Set the laptop on a blanket.

3) Turn it on and run memtest for Windows: http://hcidesign.com/memtest/MemTest.zip

It should burn pretty quick!
To bad, though, laptops usually have protection and will shut themselves off if they get to hot. But you never know. This would only burn out the CPU. They may just replace it and send it back bad still.
You could always check the BIOS too and see if you can change the heat ratio or otherwise disable/turn off the automatic protection.

I think you can also cross a couple USB wires together and short them. Then can cause bigger damage to the motherboard. Just stick a screwdriver in the USB port and cross a few pins. That would be fun! Ouch.

good luck with that, whatever you do.

Oh and this post warrants some protection for myself, ehem:

"The author of this message is not responsible for any damage caused by following the instruction within and cannot be held liable. By reading this, you agree to these terms."

good luck!

I'm yeller

Ok sounds good but don't know if I have the nerve. Also have to back up everything. Don't know if I will be able to reply with results. Thanks for the info it was exactly what I was looking for.

Marcus

Keep in mind that causing physical damage to your equipement will (in most cases) void your warranty.

However,if you're dead set on frying it, a quick way would be to reverse the polarity on your AC adapter.

Back