How do i open the folder for my user name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazer07

I just installed an old harddrive form my previous computer into my new packard bell ixtreme 9053, it works just fine only that when i attempt to open the folder that corresponds to my user name on my old computer it wont let me as i blocked others from opening them unless their on my nameis their ANY way i can open these folders ive got important documents inside and my old computer is nolonger functioning any help is greatly appreciated...

Log in as Administrator and change ownership of the folder in question to your account on the new computer:

Right-click the folder & click Properties
Click the Security tab
(If you don't see the Security tab, click Tools > Folder Options > View, and Un-check "Use simple file sharing")
Under the Security tab, click Advanced
Click the Owner tab
Change owner to your User account

Good luck!

I cant find the "Use simple file sharing" its not in my view options im using windows xp home edition.

And when i go to control panel it doesnt display the users on the second hardrive for the old computer only mine on the new computer...(For raybay)

hazer07 said:
I cant find the "Use simple file sharing" its not in my view options im using windows xp home edition.

D'oh!

Sorry, I obviously tend to assume XP Pro as that's what I see most often.

To access the Security tab with XP Home, simply boot into Safe Mode. It'll be there.

Probably hitting the F8 key during boot will be enough to get a boot menu offering Safe Mode as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back