How do you make a HD like new again???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...I really want to delete all the data and lost partitions that are still on my HD and then reinstall XP. I made some partitions using PM9 but I lost them during a crash...Using a recovery tool like R-Studio I can see them and was able to get all of the data of of them...but I want to remove them completely. They don't show up in My Computer..but they must be on my HD somewhere for R-Studio to see them.

What is the best way to completely wipe out a HD and all the partitions on it? So that is was like the day I bought it. Will a program like BCwipe...which is used to destroy data...wipe out those old partitions as well?

Thanks,

JWL

when the xp install cd starts it will ask you if you want to format the disk. there you can delete any partitions and you can reformat the disk into NTFS file system and everything will be clean and new.

If those partitions still aren't visible (sometimes they're not) look for a nice little app called delpart. It's never failed for me - just include it on a boot disc.

Hey guys...thanks for writing. I only have the HP recovery discs that came with my laptop...and I don't remember seeing the option to delete partitions...however, I just ordered a Windows Xp Home OEM...Will I have the options to delete the partitions with the OEM disc?

Also, I don't have a 3.5 floppy on my laptop...can I just burn this .exe. to a disc..and have it boot from my cdrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back