How Do You Recover Corrupt Files On Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was using my older Dell, when I had a blue screen come up with a system information message on the screen (the windows crash screen). I thought nothing of it until a bubble came up by my taskbar saying that there were corrupt files in the directory 'My Pictures'. This bothered me - as I had numerous pictures from high school and college that I can't replace - and I then found out upon opening iTunes that 'My Music' was considered "corrupt files" also. I do not know what could have caused this other than the system crash.

I have ran the windows disk check utility, which just removed the folders 'My Music' and 'My Pictures' from my computer all together. I could not locate them in 'My Documents' or through the search utility.

I next tried to use the system restore function. I restored to a week ago, when everything was working fine. However, the files are still not there at all.

My hard drive looks to be very full with files still, which makes me believe that the files are still there if I knew how to repair them or bring them back. When I say that I mean - there are only 8GB of free space on my hard drive, and I had over 12 GB of music - therefore the files are still taking up space, they are just not accessible.

I also tried opening my computer, right mouse clicking the C drive, clicking properties, tools tab, and running the disk check again from that location. After about 10 minutes of the computer working on it, it said that it could not complete the disk check.

If you can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I have tried to explain my problem well, but please feel free to ask me if there is any other information that you need to know.

Thank you for you help.

If you suspect the files have been deleted you can run some kind of "recovery" software to bring them back if at all possible. just google "recover deleted files" and you should find something along these lines. Try to find something that is freeware if possible. System restore does not affect personal files and documents stored under "My Documents"

This shows that the Os is hardly damage and as you need the files easy thing to do is to put the HDD on another computer and use it as Secondary HDD and you may find the folders then copy all needed files to another HDD or Pendrive and then you put it back to the PC.

Try to make a repair of the OS. If still not working then you will need to format you PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back