How do you upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need a new mainboard with a PCI-E slot, but maybe you have to change your CPU and possibly RAM. What CPU socket do you have right now?

Yes, like socket 478, socket A, socket 754, Socket LGA775 (or simply "T"), socket 939, socket AM2, etc.

You can check this thread HERE by Howard ;)

Open Everest (essential :p), go to motherboard, then go to CPU. You'll find out everything about it.

Check the "physical CPU info" and tell us the "package type".

You have socket 478. There are no available boards for that socket, using a PCI-E slot. If you want PCI-E you'd need to change your CPU, mobo, and if you want to stick with Intel, new DDR2 RAM :(

Ok, thanks Wolfram do you think Bestbuy will have PCI-E computers?
or can you give a name of one that has PCI-E and isnt like $800000 =P

They should have PCI-E computers.

But, if you want, you can build one yourself. That way, you'd save a LOT of bucks, it's fun, and you'd learn a lot about PC's in the process.

You can order from Newegg.com, they're the best online retailer, and offer very very cheap prices :)

Yeah I was checking out NewEgg just awhile ago at 6800 and it was like $120 and the price on Nvidia and Ebay were like almost double that =P

You can get a card like the 7600GT, or the X850XT PE (I just bought it :) ). They're better than any 6800 card ;)

Cool yeah I want a good enough VC to be able to play Oblivion and any other game without having to look at systemrequirementslab.com to see if I can play it or not ( only WoW, Fear, and BF2 at low qaulity are the games I can play no problem with about 40 FPS )

What is your budget? Do you want to build yourself a new PC? Or just upgrade your current one?

Well like you said, I cant upgrade to PCI-E and I would like a 6800 or better ( hopefully like the one card you had =P ) my budget is decent enough ( about $900 )

If you want to build a whole new cheap PC, go with an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice, or if you want dual core, an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or better.

Or go with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (best choice), a decent Conroe mobo, 1 GB of good, low latency Corsair XMS RAM, and a good videocard, like a X850XTPE, a 7600GT, or Radeon X1900XT.

Can't post some links right now, because I'm tired :p :zzz:

Good luck! :wave:

Lol thanks Wolf, i'll go on google or NewEgg and just search some stuff and see if I get lucky with some links ( I was thinking of going to Ebay and buying something like this )

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ Dual Core 64bit CPU socket AM2
CPU Fan: AMD Heavy Duty Cooling Fan With Heat Sink
Motherboard: ECS nForce 4 M-A new 64 bit CPU support
Memory: 2GB DDR2 533 PC4300 RAM ( upgradeable up to 4 GB)
Video Card: GeForce 7300GS 256MB 16xPCI Express video with TV out
Hard drive: 300GB 7200RPM SATA UDMA 150 8Mb cache
CD drive: 18x Dual Layer DVD +RW/-RW drive (DVD burner)
Floppy drive: not included ( add Mitsumi 1.44MB 3.5" drive for $10)
Sound: AC 97 6 channel 5.1 Full duplex digital sound
Network: 10/100 RJ45 network card (Ethernet, cable or DSL)
Modem: not included (add 56k v.92 modem for $10)
Ports: Six USB 2.0 ports,1 serial, 1 parallel, 1 microphone jack
Case: Mid Tower 400w power supply (four 5.25", two 3.5" bays)
Keyboard: PS2 Windows Keyboard
Mouse: PS2 Scroll Mouse
Speakers: Multimedia stereo speakers

Which was $900 + shipping which came out to about $927-930 which is good because it basicly comes with all the stuff I need and I could always upgrade with better sound / videocards

Lol, actualy now.. Im thinking of getting a Dell XPS 700 model that comes with a 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS, 20" monitor, 2gig ram and a few other things for about $2300 and the Alienware I looked at was $2800 and didnt come with all that stuff so im saving $500 =)

Just be careful with Dell's. They may be good at the moment, but when you want to upgrade them, you can't. They're not future-proof at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back