How long will this last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptFarnsworth

I recently customized an HP HDX 16 laptop on their website, and received it a little over two weeks ago. While I am still reveling in the fact that I finally have a very capable and fast gaming system, I'm also wondering how long this computer will be able to stay up to date with today's games.

The system specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.53 Ghz 6mb L2 cache
3gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT 512mb
16" 1920x1080 screen
6v battery

Those are really the only "game-associated" features of a computer, so I'll leave out the rest.

a) Battery is not even worth mentioning, cause if you're gaming on a battery, you're going to get game over in about 10 minutes... games eat power, its a fact.
b) Well, there is already a game that it can't play. Its called Crysis. (sp?)
A computer is pretty much obsolete the moment it leaves the factory, because chances are, they just came out with something slightly better.
Now, if you just wanna play Halo 2 or whatever on PC, its probably going to last a while, and the Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT is not a bad graphics card in my opinion either, so it will do fine for most games today.
All in all, if you're trying to have a computer that will play the newest game with the highest graphics requirements, you'll end up buying a new computer every time a new game comes out practically. If you can afford this, go for it man. (And if you don't want the old ones... can I have them lol?)
But if you're like most people, you'll have to wait a few years before shelling out another few 1000 for a new system... so you'll have to make do with the one you have... which really isn't bad right now, and won't be 'outdated' by most standards for a year probably.

I just went to "Can you run it?", and it says that my system can run Crysis past it's recommended settings. So why can't I play it?

I just went to "Can you run it?", and it says that my system can run Crysis past it's recommended settings. So why can't I play it?

Minimum system requirements
from Crytek and EA

OS - Windows XP or Windows Vista
Processor - 2.8 GHz or faster (XP) or 3.2 GHz or faster* (Vista)
Memory - 1.0 GB RAM (XP) or 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)
Video Card -256 MB**
Hard Drive - 12GB
Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible

I dunno, even if they're talking about single core, I don't think that it'll run very well...that said I know about all of 1 person who's computer can run it well lol. I also have this reservation about serious hardcore up-to-date gaming on a laptop... cause one overheated and blew up (literally) at a LAN party once... was kinda funny, but not for the owner, because loosing 2K$ isn't fun.
Then again, you would have to try it. Not trying to knock your computer, just trying to make a point that there's always something that will come out, fairly soon after you buy the computer, if not before, that you will have trouble running.

It really depends if you're going to play the latest games with the best graphics. If so, that computer will last... 2-5 months maybe? If you're like me and like to enjoy the simpler things in life, like the first Half Life game, or maybe Halo, or something like that, you're probably going to be able to get a lot of use out of that computer.

I don't play too many high end games, and even when I do, I'm content not running em at max settings. I mostly play TF2, HL, HL2, Portal, and Fallout 3; all of which run beautifully on this computer.

The 9600gt can ~play~ (as in 30 - 50 fps) at medium settings and low resolution on a dual core. Crysis warhead performs even better.

How long will it last? Its already a generation behind on the procesor and graphics card, but it will be good enough to play any (probably) games that come out for a while.

Don't game on a laptop, and how did they fit a 9600gt in a laptop?!?!!? Thats a desktop card, Nvidia laptop cards say "M" behind the number "9800M GT". That is one HUGE laptop though.

The 9600gt is a great card, and the E7300 or whatever wolfdale your running is a great processor, it will fairly long, assuming the laptop part doesn't get you...so don't worry, just make sure you don't play for very very long times. Ive heard of graphics cards melting before.

Well, unfortunately, due to constant travel, a laptop was the only choice; otherwise I would have built my own desktop. I also bought a really nice cooling pad to help with the laptop's overall temperature to avoid any "melting". Also, I checked my computer specs again, and my graphics card is actually a 9600M GT, so that solves that mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back