How many G networks can you have

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt1522

My whole network keep going down(Wired and wireless), I suspect the reason is that there are too many G networks around me and it is interfering with my router and it keeps restarting to find a usable channel, But because I know just enough to install and secure the wireless router i wanted another opinion. So is it possible that my network keeps crashing because of the many other wireless networks within range( I count 10 right now all G, about 90% secured ).

You are correct the cables are unshielded and it would be a good idea to get shielded twisted pair, but the problem only started 2 maybe 3 weeks ago. When the internet works it is really fast so i dont think there is interference on the line at least not alot

G routers use channels 1-11 domestically and Europe has chn #12 also.

Determine which network SSIDs are using which channel AND
which are encrypted vs unencrypted --
now move yours to an unused channel or at least the channel with the lowest use count.

You should use encryption in this order of preference {WPA2, WPA, WEP}.
If all fail, then look for new firmware for the router.

Start by disabling your wireless transmissions, and only running the internet to a computer using cables.

This will help determine if its more of a wireless problem, i.e., interference, or an internet problem.

I recounted the wireless and found 11 wireless networks(mine currently is disabled) so that uses up all of the channels I guess my question now is can two wireless netwoks be on the same channel at the same time and still work

I recounted the wireless and found 11 wireless networks(mine currently is disabled) so that uses up all of the channels I guess my question now is can two wireless netwoks be on the same channel at the same time and still work

Yes, but while in use, the other network suffers.

Your best bet is get a 5GHz router and wireless card so you can avoid this all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back