How migrate from WinXP home to WinXP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jledoux

I just got a 'new' (actually it's used!) computer that has a faster processor than my old one. Basically, my old computer has a 2.2 GHZ pentium 4. The 'new' computer has two cpus at 3.0 GHZ. Ideally, I'd like the new computer to have everything the old computer has on it. But the old computer's O/S is winXP home, which won't recognize two cpus, correct?

Is there a straightforward way to accomplish this? Or do I have to reinstall the programs, and transfer all the files? Can I upgrade the winXP home to winXP pro, and then clone the disk? I guess that would cost some bucks for the upgrade?

Thanks for your advice / help!

Does your new computer actually have two separate physical processors in two sockets or a single physical processor that appears as two? XP Home can use multiple logical CPUs no problem.

A bigger issue is the fact that the XP Home install has the drivers of your old machine. If you try to boot that on the new one, it will not boot. You would have to do a repair install.

House cleaning good. IMHO you should just do a clean install on the new machine. Copy over the needed documnets. Reinstall only the programs that you actually use and need - forget all that rubbish that you have collcted on the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back