How much for Athlon 64 X2 processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay123

Hello,

I am wondering how much an athalon 64 X2 processor would cost.... or what is a decent price for it?

Also if I get the processor itself what other adjustment or other hardware would I need to get in order to make it work(if any)?

Are you only planning to change your processor? What motherboard are you using now?

Everything about my motherboard.

Yes I am only planning to change my processor.

These are the motherboard specifications:

Motherboard description •Motherboard manufacturer's name: MSI MS-7184
•HP/Compaq name: AmethystM-GL6E

CPU/Processor •Socket: 939
•Supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 (up to 4800+) and Sempron (up to 3200+) processors

System bus •2000 MegaTransfers/second or 1600 MegaTransfers/second depending on the processor

Chipset •Northbridge: ATI RS482
•Southbridge: ATI SB400

BIOS features •The mainboard BIOS provides “Plug & Play” BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically
•The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications
•Supports boot from LAN, USB Device 1.1 & 2.0, and SATA HDD

Form factor •Micro-ATX: 24.4cm X 24.4cm

Memory •Four 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets
•Supports dual channel, eight memory banks DDR 333/400 DDR DIMMs
•Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMMs
•Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB* without ECC

NOTE: *Actual available memory may be less

Expansion slots •One PCI Express x16 graphics
•Three PCI
•One SCSI connector for PCI Extender Card for two additional PCI slots (optional)

Video graphics •Integrated

Serial ATA •2 SATA connectors
•Each connector supports 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive

Onboard audio or audio card Controller: AC-97
•Realtek ALC658C 6-channel CODEC chipset
Onboard LAN •Realtek 8100C
•10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet controller

Back panel I/0 •One PS/2 mouse
•One PS/2 keyboard
•One VGA
•One Parallel
•One IEEE 1394
•One RJ-45 networking port
•Three audio connectors: line in, line out, and microphone
•Four USB (2.0)
•One S/PDIF out

Internal connectors •One floppy port supports 1 FDD with 360K, 720K, 1.2M, 1.44M and 2.88Mbytes
•Two IDE connectors for up to four IDE devices
•Two serial ATA ports for up to two SATA devices
•One PCI Express x16 graphics slot
•Three PCI slots
•One PCI extender board connector
•Four USB 2.0 ports on two headers
•One CD audio input header
•One auxiliary audio input header
•One headphone-out header
•One IEEE1394a header
•One CPU fan connector
•One system (chassis) fan connector

I think this is everything about my motherboard.

I havent changed my motherboard at all since I got this computer so this is from the compaq website and they say this is exactly what I have the only difference is that I put another CD reader in the expansion bay.

Your present board supports only Socket 939 processors. I doubt you'll find one anywhere. And even if you do, it would not be really wise to upgrade. Save up some more and consider building a new system.

Not the whole computer, you can still use the ram, hard disk drives and expansions you have installed.

You should however look for a micro-ATX motherboard with sAM3 support, so you can still use the same chassis, a new motherboard will have support for your current ram, drives and what not.

So in the end you only buy a motherboard and a new processor to your liking. And if you want to boost a little more a couple of ram dims, which are pretty cheap nowadays.

Good luck!

I'm not sure how the prices are there, but I do know there are cheaper hardware in your location than mine, and it is way way cheaper and smarter to replace the motherboard and a low-end (still higher powered compared to a 64 x2 4800+) processor than to buy a used procesor.

When you buy the mainboard it even comes with detailed intructions to where you need to plug things in so there isn't much to it. Or you could ask someone who knows how to do it, it's not hard at all ;)

Again, the best of luck!

A used Athlon 64 X2 4800+ costs $152!!! That's insane! Go with what Kibaruk said.

yeah it is Rit, but they are in short supply (939) and that's about the average...god help you if you want a 6000 they are $200

"You should however look for a micro-ATX motherboard with sAM3 support,"

Ok, so what I am hearing is that a Micro-ATX motherboard with what I think is a socket AM3 for socket AM3 processors which are way cheaper then used socket 939 ones, because no one makes them anymore thats why they are more expensive.(brand new ones that are compatable with this motherboard are cheaper then socket 939 ones, is that right?)

Is this correct? The motherboard and a new(I think) processor is cheaper then a socket 939 processor?

An Athlon II X2 250 (Dual cores running at 3000Mhz) at amazon is at barely $75,99, and a cheap AM3 supporting motherboard brand ZOTAC micro-ATX goes for $54,99 with a nice integrated gforce 8200 video chipset directx10 capable.

So, for under $150 you buy a new and actual mainboard which you can go upgrading ram and video card as you go on, and a really good procesor :)

Yes, since those procesors are discontinued for the type of socket they are more expensive than new ones.

I hope this helped! Good luck :)

I looked one up on e-bay and the socket is LGA775, does this go with AM2 or AM3 socket processors?

Also, does it accept the same type of ram?

LGA is for INTEL type socket, AM3 is for AMD.

Look for "AM3 Motherboards" and "AM3 Procesors".

Good luck!

The compaq website says that they dont suggest or encourage changing the motherboard on my sr1620nx so are you sure I can change the motherboard?

Is there something to do with wattage that I have to change.

You should check the specs, or open the computer and read the label in the power supply, if you don't have enough power you can always change it, they are cheap like 20 bucks cheap.

Your best option right now is to go to a hardware store and check there for prices, availability and compatibility, if there is any issue they will tell you ;)

Best of lucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back