How often to clean videocard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFiltrateG4

My rig is very new and I start to see some dust forming inside of the case. I was just wondering how often should I use an air can to blow out the inside of the case? Once every month maybe? How about cleaning my X1800XT for dust inside the fans?

Gauge your temperatures (idle and load, usually load will be effected much, much more) while it's spiffy and clean. When they get 5-10C higher(on load, 5C or so on idle, but keep in mind to factor in ambient temperatures) take a look inside your case. If it's really dusty give it a good cleaning.

You might also want to consider a filtered case.

The newer Antec cases (such as the Sonata-II series) have a nice filter behind the front intake fan to collect dust/debris. I'm amazed at how well it reduces dust build-up inside the case. These are also removable and can be cleaned (they slide out of the front).

Otherwise, there is no rule of thumb.. as different environments build-up airborn dust differently. If it's on shag carpet and have someone vacuuming all the time, this will obvious throw around a lot more dust than your typical "bachelor pad" where vacuuming is considered evil lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back