How safe is unofficial service pack 2.1a for Win98 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can gather, it`s worth downloading and installing.

However, you should make a backup of your system just in case.

Regards Howard :)

I gave it a go on an old system and something hosed it and it would hang on win98 boot screen. I didn't follow up on it much, but I imagine it had to do with the "performace-boosting" "Tweaks" section of the installer. (i believe it's called tweaks) That or it exacerbated an existing issue- but either way, proceed with caution.

If you only install the updates, I would imagine it would be handy as hell, but I haven't had another opportunity to try it out.

There was mixed opinion from users of this service pack.

But it the ones with the bad experience, who bother to come and post their comment.

Any more comments from actual users, please ?

No troubles for about 20 installations on a variety of PC's. But I DO NOT use any of the optional extras provided in that SP version. Like yakwacker says, treat it as a security update only. Dont push your luck.

I always have sympathy for people who go to the trouble of providing these type of free services as I recognise they have worked hard and are altruistic in their intentions. I also realise they do not have a warehouse full of PC's to test against every conceivable combination of hardware and software. But then, who does? MS is famous for issuing entire operating systems well before they are fully tested, and look at their resources.....

Okay, gbhall. I'm giving it a shot.

Okay, I went for the Main Updates only.

Everything seems fine. I hope my USB problem gets taken care of.

Thanks, gbhall.

All is not well.

I'm getting error messages that wucrtupd and lexplore have performed illegal operations.

I'm not blaming the service pack.

I did also visit www.driverguide.com, and down load their scan (non-activeX version), and the driver guite tool kit.

Neither of the two worked properly.

Only other sites I visited were Windows Live Mail (hotmail) and Techspot.

Can't seem to un-install the update either.

you might have a fairly important DLL corrupt or changed when it didn't oughta. Some packages should have a warning 'you are now entering DLL hell'.

Run system file checker SFC and see if it turns anything up.

Failing that, are you on Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.000IS ? if not, download and install that, then re-apply the SP2.1a.

gbhall

Some packages should have a warning 'you are now entering DLL hell'.

Bloody hell, I agree!

Failing that, are you on Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.000IS ? if not, download and install that, then re-apply the SP2.1a.

Too late to try that now. I went through the pains of zero fill & reformat.
All my data was backed up, but 5 hours went down the drain.

I wiped thedrive re-installed 98 SE and then installed this one that i was given from a work colleague
http://www.9down.com/UNOFFICIAL-Wind...ack-2-1a-5856/

James, I've lost my fervor for experimenting. But will try that link in the future.

Thanks.

Ravi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back