How To Deny Access To Automatic Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrepairs247

Hi guys, wonder if you can help me.

At work there are a few programs my staff are using and i want to stop them from using them. we are sharingn internet connection thats all. I want to block them havign access to automatic updates so they cant enable it. For example i want to remove it from control panel and any other means or ways of getting to it. and msn messenger. Can anyonesuggest anything please.

kind regards
richie

If you are sharing the internet connection, then you have a router. You can block any destination/source addresses and/or ports in the router.

As for disabling stuff in Windows, this assumes that you have administrator rights and no one else has them - otherwise anyone can undo whatever you did.

You can disable the automatic updates system service. And if you have software firewalls, then yoyu can block anything in that.

get Spybot S&D; see the Mode->Advanced list that appears on the left

it has a control for disabling Startup programs w/o permenant alteration to the
registry. This will set, whatever you choose, as disabled, but it also allows you
the ability to run it manually - which I personally much prefer

My bad. Sorry to get your hopes up like that.

You should be able to go to each system and and disable updates in the microsoft security center, unless thats a XP Pro function only too.

A. Windows Update is a great tool for updating your computers; however, if you want to control the deployment of fixes, you might want to disable Windows Update. To disable it at a Group Policy level, perform the following steps:

Start Group Policy Editor (GPE), and load the desired Group Policy Object (GPO).
Expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Start Menu and Taskbar.
Double-click "Disable and Remove Links to Windows Update" (Windows 2000) or "Remove links and access to Windows Update" (Windows XP).
Select Enabled and click OK.
Close GPE.

You can also edit the registry to disable Windows Update on a per user basis:

Start regedit.exe on the machine where you want to disable Windows Update.
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value.
Enter a name of NoWindowsUpdate, and press Enter.
Double-click NoWindowsUpdate, and set it to 1.
Close regedit.

You don't need to reboot. If the user tries to start Windows Update, the system will display the following error message:

Windows Update was disabled by your system Administrator.

If i could have ever wished for the greatest reply and help in the world that was it. Thats exactly what i was looking for. I am going to do it via the registry.

u r a legend

i hope u have a wonderful life

i done waht you said, however the message does nto display about the system administrator. and i can still turn updates on :S ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back