How to destroy a video card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna know how it is possible to damage a video card without visual defects on the card.

I can think of 1: static electricity,but these days they build them quite good and it will take hours of grabbing before you can destroy it

Overclocking need not be mentioned as it will be seen.

Anyone?

Huh? Grabbing?

The more complex an IC gets, the more sensitive it is to static discharge. Video cards of today are far more susceptible if improperly handled.

This doesn't bode well, are you planning sabotoge? I don't want to contribute to that. However, if you want to destroy the card for experimental purposes or whatever, hey...

A method that might do it is increasing the AGP voltage, if your motherboard allows it.

Or, if you are clever, get the pinout of the video card and find it's power source, then connect that to something that would cause it to try to draw way too much, or connect it to a high power AC line. Be careful though.

Why do you want to do this?

We are doing some experimenting in here. We have (3) 1.5 years old video cards and we need to damage them. The thing is, we can't damage anything else except those video cards. It's sorta a school/dumb project(trying to prove something...) We are using my computer which has ASUS A7N8X motherboard.
Video cards are all Abit Radeon 9200SE 128mb(got them all for $60 from ebay..)

How will overclocking be seen? Use Rage3D tweak or whatever its called. No modificiations needed to the cards hardware

You could also load down a borked BIOS file using (can't remember name, tool for flashing Radeons) and that'd stop it booting

Good luck with that, I don't think i'd wanna use my PC for it though.

I must admit, my first thoughts were you were trying to get your money back or something ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back