how to get far wireless signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdanielxx

Hey i have a buddy that wants to share internet connection. well first let me say this is a 2 house lot one house in front and the other in back he wants to shot the connection from the front to the back.

his setup

linksys wireless B router (in back house)
laptop with built in wireless card (in front house)

Know i went and bought a card for his laptop wich is a wireless N card. I set it up fine but it dose not pick up the signal it sees the router but the signal is very weak. Now, i know dont need a boster because i took out my mac G4 laptop with a built in airport extrem card in it and it picks it up at full signal it dose not even go down one bar. Can some one help me out is there a stronger card that will work with the linksys

you need either a repeater, an additional wifi access point daisy chained off your current wifi router, or he can use a directional antenna like a home made CAN-tenna if his wifi card has the ability to plug in an external antenna.

You live in States, if you do go down to Circuit City and buy a Buffalo High Power Wireless Router G or N since you got a N. These comes 4db Gain ANT and you can set the power signal from 0 to 100%. That's if you live in the States or you can get it off NewEgg has them.

Or

Stick the Wireless near the top end of the house where it sits near the glass window then giive it a shot. Or use an AM Radio on a dead station and walk around your dwelling until you don't hear any noise. Put the wireless router there.

yes, or you can have a REPEATER.
or a high gain antenna
or as tipstir said a high gain antenna.... or a combination of all four....

whatever works

howard_hopkinso said:
I don`t know if this`ll help at all, but it`s an interesting read nonetheless. Look HERE.

Regards Howard :)

That's pretty cool. It looks as if that router has two antenna; mine has three, so I presume I need a reflector for each one?

no -- just position the router in the middle of the reflector

Better off buying high gain ANT like 4db or 6db to get a better signal. I did test making those foil reflectors and they don't cut it or work...

Yes well that's good and the signal should stay in the very good to Excellent range. I've notice Wal-Mart is selling a Wireless Signal Locator for $19 bucks like below

ppic_000024.jpg

Mobile Edge is what shown above. cost $10 bucks more though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back