How to maintain the performance of a non-TRIM SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichitapavel

I just ordered an SSD(Kingston SSDNow 40, Intel Controller), at his moment this ssd doesn't support TRIM command, so I'm wondering what can I do to maintain the performance of this SSD over longer periods? what programs should I use to clean the ssd? what shouldn't I do? etc...

anticipated thanks to everyone!

If you are planning to use windows 7 you should be fine; otherwise you'll be suffering over time; I'll look into it and get back to you.

In the meantime check this out.

I presume you have the M series drive.
The bad news is the controller is, as you are probably aware is Intel- they refuse to allow TRIM to be integrated into any new firmware.
Intel furthermore, have decided not to make the SSD toolbox (a manual version of TRIM available to their own X25 drives) available to the Kingston SSDNow.
Intel say they aren't responsible for third party hardware even though it is their controller on board, and Kingston say they cannot issue firmware because it's not their controller.
The long and the short of it is, one of them is bullsh*****g but unless something drastic happens you wont be able to enable TRIM (or a version of) on this drive.

The only option is to use the drive exclusively for the OS. The degrading in performance is a direct result of writes to the drive- so keeping these to a minimum will extend it's read/write performance. It's not ideal by any means and requires programs that require frequent install/uninstall cycles (i.e. games ) to be offloaded to a second harddrive.
My advice would be to contact Kingston with your thoughts on the matter and think carefully about who the manufacturer of your next memory based product will be.
Sorry it couldn't be good news.

Along with price, capacity and a lack of 3.5" to 2.5" drive bay adapters for many chassis.

Price is not that much of an issue for many people; but I guess its more of an issue what they get in return for their money. I think SSDs will make more sense couple of years down the road with both performance & price.

I presume you have the M series drive.
The bad news is the controller is, as you are probably aware is Intel- they refuse to allow TRIM to be integrated into any new firmware.
Intel furthermore, have decided not to make the SSD toolbox (a manual version of TRIM available to their own X25 drives) available to the Kingston SSDNow.
Intel say they aren't responsible for third party hardware even though it is their controller on board, and Kingston say they cannot issue firmware because it's not their controller.
The long and the short of it is, one of them is bullsh*****g but unless something drastic happens you wont be able to enable TRIM (or a version of) on this drive.

The only option is to use the drive exclusively for the OS. The degrading in performance is a direct result of writes to the drive- so keeping these to a minimum will extend it's read/write performance. It's not ideal by any means and requires programs that require frequent install/uninstall cycles (i.e. games ) to be offloaded to a second harddrive.

I bought the V series, and like you said I will use it exclusive for the OS, and I'm sure I read a post where Kingston said that clearly that they are working on a TRIM enabled firmware for this drive.
How about the new intel X25-V, is it TRIM enabled, cause I can't find this information, also I have 6 days left to cancel my order in case I change my mind.

Intel® Value SATA Solid-State Drive (34nm NAND Flash Memory Product Line)
Technical Specifcations

Model Name Intel® X25-V Value SATA Solid-State Drive
capacity: 40 GB

NAND flash components 5 Parallel Channel Architecture with 34nm MLC ONFI 1.0 NAND

Bandwidth Sustained Sequential Read: up to 170 MB/s

Sustained Sequential Write: up to 35 MB/s

Read Latency 65 microseconds
Write Latency 110 microseconds

Random I/O Operations Per Second (IOPS):
Random 4 KB Reads: up to 25,000 IOPS
Random 4 KB Writes: up to 2,500 IOPS

Interface SATA I 1.5 Gb/s and SATA II 3.0 Gb/s

form factor, Height, and Weight:
2.5¨ Industry Standard Hard Drive Form Factor
9.5 mm height; 68 grams +/- 2 grams weight

Life expectancy 1.2 million hours Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF)

Power consumption Active: 150 mW Typical (PC workload²)
Idle (DIPM): 75 mW Typical (34nm)

Operating Shock 1,500 G/0.5 ms (34nm)

Operating Temperature 0° C to +70° C

compatibility and compliance SATA Revision 2.6 Compliant. Compatible with SATA II 3.0 Gb/s with Native Command Queuing and SATA I 1.5 Gb/s interface rates

roHS compliance Meets the requirements of EU RoHS Compliance Directives and the Halogen Free Compliance Directives
Product Health Monitoring Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) commands plus additional

Intel solid-state monitoring
Trim Support = Yes (According to Intel documentation)

I'm sure I read a post where Kingston said that clearly that they are working on a TRIM enabled firmware for this drive.

I hope you're right if you get the drive-But as of this time no, and the posts below are from people who have been attempting to get this matter clarified. If you aren't locked into buying this SSD then it's a no-brainer-Get something with TRIM enabled now.

Intel Support community forums (last post 4 days ago)
http://communities.intel.com/thread/9969?start=0&tstart=0
Anandtech forums (last post 4 days ago)
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2038780

Kingston do not support product forums

I hope you're right if you get the drive-But as of this time no, and the posts below are from people who have been attempting to get this matter clarified. If you aren't locked into buying this SSD then it's a no-brainer-Get something with TRIM enabled now.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ngston-ssdnow-v-series-40gb-ssd-review-6.html here you'll find that Kingston is working on an firmware update, but at this moment I'm a little bit confused cause there is no 40 GB SSD on the Kingston official webpage.

well, I read the 2 forums, and man I hate Intel now, the worst thing is that I'm forced to buy the X25-V SSD, at least I'm giving my money to AMD when it comes to processors, screw you Intel, even if I buy your fu... SDD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back