How To set up a LAN game for Command and Conquer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guy's
Im new to this , forum. I was wondering if someone can help me to set up my two computers to play General "command and conquer" using LAN?

I got a Windows Xp Pro on both machine, one with SP2 and one with SP1,
with a PC Cillin virus program and the other one with Computer Associates virus program and firewall. To make more complicated i am sharing both computer using a SMC7004ABR.

Note: i have one license only for the command and conquer? do i require to buy another software to get started?
Any comments and suggestions?

Thank you
Jblaster

Hello, Welcome to Techspot, Jblaster,

I am no expert but did you try set the Network Configuration (Microsoft/NetBIOS/IPX/TCP-IP)?

Lucan

P.S. Forgive me, I am rookie on WIndows XP but I am veteran on Win 9x

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Which version of C&C are you thinking about?
The original? If so, you only need one license, just let one play as nod with the nod cd and one as gdi with the gdi cd.

To set up the network you have to use IPX/SPX which you have to either use through a crossed cable directly, or through a hub (I don't think a switch works).

There are other ways, but I'll wait until I know if we're talking about the same game :)

sorry, what do you mean by play as nod with the nod cd and one as gdi with the gdi cd? and i am using a router would this matter?

thanks again
jblaster

Command & Conquer LAN

I'm brand new to this, I found this site searching through Google. I'm trying to play Command & Conquer with my son. I have Windows 98 on my laptop and XP on my tower. My first problem is, I can select [LAN] on the tower. Windows XP seems to be blocking me. Any help?

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I have a lot of exams coming up and papers due so I don't have time to check the site as often as I'd like...

Jblaster said:
sorry, what do you mean by play as nod with the nod cd and one as gdi with the gdi cd? and i am using a router would this matter?

thanks again
jblaster

What game are you playing?
Command & Conquer is a game series which stretches from the age-old original (which featured GDI vs Nod) up to I don't know which incarnation (C&C: Renegade?)...
During this time, how we use computer networks has changed a bit, so we've gone from IPX/SPX to TCP/UDP over IP.
So to make sure that you're configuring your LAN correctly, we need to know which version/game of C&C you are playing.
Most likely, it's one of the more recent versions, but as i've recently had a spell of nostalgia, I've been playing the old version and marveling at how fresh it still feels, so I feel like having it clarified.
If it is one of the first versions which use IPX/SPX, you can not use a router/switch but only a hub (afaik). Or you could use a crossed TP cable and connect the computers directly to eachother (bypassing the router).

If you are playing one of the later version of C&C, which is using TCP/IP, you should be able to get it to work as long as you've set the ip adresses correctly for each machine (or the router has done so for you). If you're having problems with this setup, it can be a totally different way to fix it, than if you're using the old IPX C&C version.

Driver> HEllo :)

Have you tried disabling the XP firewall to see if that helps?
And what do you mean when you say that you can select LAN on the tower, but that XP blocks you? That you select LAN as type of multiplayer game, but that when you're searching for a server (which I guess you're running on the tower) you can not find it?

C&C LAN problems

Ok, I've tried to play Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Sun. When the games starts one of the beginning screens gives you the choice of several buttons: [Single Player], [Internet], [Network], [Movies & Credits], [Options], and [Exit Game]. When I select the Network button on my laptop (Windows 98), the computer takes me to a new screen to setup the game. When I select the Network button on my tower (Window XP), the computer just blinks and I return to the same screen. It seems that XP is blocking this move. I tried shutting of Firewall and had same effect.

Ra

hello

my problem is related to this one...

i'd like to play Red Alert 1 on 2 computers on a LAN.
I have windows 98 SE and my brother has Windows XP .

both our versions work ... and when we both go to "Network" i can see myself and my brother in the lobby... howevery, my brother can only see himself. When I click "New Game" i can also only see myself.

Is there something wrong in the Network settings in Windows? and if so, how to fix it (i dont know much about XP , but i do about 9x)

plz help me if u can
tnx in advance

YOu can do tcp/ip games but if you are using a router that port has to be open alll the ports are listed in ea support folder in the directory that the game is installed to it is a text file (read me)

hi again
reason my brother had his LAN - connection set "as a bridge"
i removed that part and now it works.

thanks anyhow everyone.
(according to other websites it was impossible to play Red Alert 1 on XP, unless u had a patch which removes the Network option... well we did it :) )

btw... i dont like XP the settings are too hidden behind all kinds of Wizzards... windows 95 is still the best imo. 98 SE is good too (thats what im using now cuz a lot of programs unfortunatly dont run on 95 anymore)

Multiplayer setup command and conquer Generals

redDoes anyone know how to setup multiplayer for Command and Conquer Generals? My brother and I setup a laptop to a desktop via hub. We are both using WinXp. we can see each other when we setup the game on the LAN window, but we can't connect to the game we setup because we either get a "Timed Out message" or a message they reads "can't connect because other user might have modified settings" " Mismatched" What am I doing wrong?
Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Hello. I have Red Alert 2 and want to play on LAN. I've installed IPX protocpls on both computers. When I click network in the game, I can see only myself and the same thing on the other computer. We are running windows xp. As I saw in forrums it's quite problematic to set up Lan game on XP. Maybe you could help me. What else I can try? Is there maybe some patches or smth?...

Hello zpoan1, now that you have had the warm welcome to our forum by Crossfire above ;) let me also welcome you to our forum.

Personally, I appreciate that you came and posted how you resolved your issue so others can also learn.

Cheers!

CrossFire851 said:
This thread is over a year old!! This thread should be closed.

Post a new thread if you want help.

It is not Techspot policy to close threads simply because they are old. We only close threads if there is a deffinite reason to do so.

Regards Howard :)

Help Needed

Hi all,

I need help! I am new as I just registered today. I have two comps both running XP (one laptop - PC1 - and one desktop - PC2), however, when I try to run certain games, they either lag, or dont connect. For Example, when I play Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour on LAN, when a game is created on PC1 or PC2, the other PC can sometimes see the game but cant connect to it. The error shown is "connection timed out". What can I do? I tried switching off the firewalls from the security center, but that doesnt work.

Also, when I play Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, the game keeps lagging, and the error message comes on PC1 and PC2 showing that the other PC is lagging. Eventually, both users kick each other from the game, and the game ends. I am not exactly sure what to do.

Please Help!!

Hi all,

Go to http://strike-team.net/nuke/html/index.php to find information on how to configure your router and firewall to play on LAN or Westwood Online. For that warm and fuzzy "no virus" feeling, you can find links to these websites from EA's website to prove their authentication. LAN is tons easier to setup over Westwood Online. I think a lot of this has to do with your ISP. Some ISP's block certain ports that are needed to run the ealier C&C games... Not sure how to work my way around this yet, but I'm working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back