How to set up a network on 7?

nickc

With XP I cold have done this without looking, but with Win 7 I have not bothered with it and I would like to share files with computers in my house. Would some one please tell me how.

I have 4 computers all connected through a router and would like to be able to share files between the 4.

Thanks
nickc

It's very similar to XP. The NEW hitch is the Network Type {Home, Work, Public} setting.
Unless you're using a Laptop @ hotspot, always select the Home Network. This configures the firewall to
allow Print/File sharing.

If you've done this before, then you know that the workgroup name on all systems MUST be the same.
MS has fussed with the default setting across the versions {XP, Vista, Win/7} so verify all of them.

Take the point of view, System-X is my master where the others come to get picture, video, music - -
(does not mean the others can't host files however) and use that systems workgroup name as the one for
the whole network.

Have you shared folders previously?

I have not shared files since I had 4 computers on XP, just because I did not know much about Win/7. but I will try what I understood and see how far I get.

Thanks
nickc

OK I went and tried it and I cannot get passed setting a password.

I think you're hung up on the Home Group setup - - IGNORE IT and complete the other steps

I might be mistaken, but what it seems to me is when it asks for a password, which it does with 4 computers, I have no idea because I had never gotten passed that.

Thanks
nickc

AHH; SystemA tries to MAP Drive to SystemB\folderX and gets a prompt for pwd?
The password required is that of the owner of FOLDERX.

On Win/7, there is a \User\PUBLIC folder that has <everyone> Full Control permissions.

Technically, there are two levels of access control:
  1. Network permissions
  2. NTFS (file) permissions
NTFS perms are always related to the owner of the file

Hmm; you need to use the same password as the user who OWNS the folder - - without it, you can not access the share.
With XP I cold have done this without looking,
it's exactly as you've done before - - remember?

The thing is, I have Windows7 on all computers, I have not ever setup a network on any of these. so there is no way to get into any of them in the network. every one of them asks the same thing, "what is the pass word when I try to setup the network" now I know I could Format and reinstall Windows on all of them and do it in setup by turning off the others while I reinstall windows but I hate to go that extent, amount of work to setup a network. I am just wanting an easy way to get the pass word without having to reinstall windows.

Thanks for the help so far

nickc

It just dawned on me - - Win/7 needs ADMIN privs to create the Network and each system is prompting you for the Admin Password. You had to give it on day one when the system was first booted.

If you just CANT remember it, the fix it like this:
shutdown the system
reboot and start tapping F8 until you get the VGA screen for SAFE MODE

then you will get a prompt for the ADMIN ID and click on it - - it usually will have NO PASSWORD at all

if you get to the desktop; go to Control Panel -> User Accounts ->change Account -> Admin
now insert a password you CAN remember.

Win/7 will run under a UAC/limited account and to get to any other account (limited or not) the target account *MUST* have a password.

{ I'm out of town Jan 1,2013 so I'll follow-up on the 2nd }

Jobeard: I decided I should come back and let u know. I did get a network set up finally. I shut off all computers, then reinstalled Windows on one, then setup the network on that one comp. including getting the password, then started the other comps. All has worked since. I do appreciate u're time. I would have never realized what I was doing if u had not talked to me.

Thank u

nickc

Sorry we could not get a solution without the reinstall, but glad it's sorted out for you.

Back