HP DV2000 boots blank screen

Newman4185

Hello,
Thank you ahead of time for taking the time out of your day to help me with my problem. :)

Laptop information:
HP Pavilion dv2000
AMD 64 Athlon x2
Windows Vista

I am attempting to troubleshoot my laptop, it will not boot past a blank screen. I have tried the following troubleshoots already.

1) Connected external Monitor.
2) Performed a hard reset.
3) Disconnected the battery.
4) Checked the RAM connections
5) Checked the CPU connection.
6) Checked warranty with HP (expired :( of course!)

So far, the furthest I got was when I started it up ONCE, it said "Operating System Not Found" which was flashing. It never happened again, just once.

I read on a forum that the AMD motherboards in this computer were recalled but I cannot find that forum again, nor can I find any relevant recall information on HP's site. Anywho, just wondering if any of you have any ideas for me to help resolve this issue.

(If possible, I would OBVIOUSLY like to retain the files on my computer. I am a realist and realize this probably is not possible, hahaa)

Thank you ahead of time,
Newman4185!

does it use geforce graphics? cause there's been alot of complaints of faulty nvidia cards in hp laptops.

btw, just buy a $20 SATA / IDE to USB converter and you can retain all your data in your notebook, as long as the hard-drive is not defective.

example

or just buy a cheap 2.5" SATA HDD enclosure and mount your laptop HDD there.

I dont know if it is the GeForce series but it is definitely Nvidia. I'm reading about all these crazy key combinations to run on the machine to get it to startup --no avail. I think its the motherboard, I'm gonna grab an adapter and wipe my data off the hard drive tomorrow and go from there.

I guess I still have the data but probably lost the computer :(

I dont know if it is the GeForce series but it is definitely Nvidia. I'm reading about all these crazy key combinations to run on the machine to get it to startup --no avail. I think its the motherboard, I'm gonna grab an adapter and wipe my data off the hard drive tomorrow and go from there.

I guess I still have the data but probably lost the computer :(

yup, if it's the mobo that's fried, there's no point fixing it. my friends who encountered mobo problems always resorted in buying a new computer.

well im not sure if it's the geforce that's faulty in your unit, but i once read this site and it did mentioned dv20xx series are affected.

How old is your system? HP had major fail issues a few years ago with their DV6000 and DV9000 series due to HP's poor heat dissipation design and certain Nvidia chipsets that overheated. It warped the motherboards.

It wasn't the AMD chips themselves. Again it was a combination of HP's poor design, lousy heat dissipation, and those Nvidia chipsets.

HP's latest DV models have learned their lesson.

This laptop was purchased on January 3rd, 2008. Its out of factory warranty and I have talked to tech support, they want $191 (just for the board). I told em a new Inspiron laptop from Dell was only $399 and that if they only expect customers to get 3 years out of their computers, then I'd definitely be switching brands.

I have an older DELL, from back when they made reliable computers, and this puppy is pushing 8 years old. Works like a top and I only complained to DELL once about a RAM stick that was acting up and they took my word for it and sent me a new one. I didn't even have to go through tech support until THEY decided I needed new RAM. It was great.

Gonna hit the phones with HP now. Thanks for your insight. I'll post up a reply about how I failed to get a new motherboard for free in a few. Haha.

2008 sounds about right and I understand about their costs. I bought my daughter a DV6000 series in mid-2007 and now issues are creeping in. Contacted HP and it would have cost me too much $. Like you, no warrenty.

But, again, their newer offerings are better.

Do yourself a favor and if you decide to buy a Dell research those Inspirions deep and long. They were having serious issues a year ago especially with the harddrives. My niece and her five friends all had Inspirions for college and all of them had nothing but headaches. I did a harddrive diagnostics on hers and sure enough it was failing.

I recommend you consider the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge series if you are searching for a new laptop but are limited in budget. Getting good reviews.

I just got off the phone with HP and let me tell you their customer service is degradable at best. Yes, I'm frustrated. Yes, I am mad. Did I show it on the phone? No. I kept a level head and just talked to them about the problems. What did they offer? $400 (part and install) repair bill. I vetoed that obviously.

Where you judge a company and where a companies reputation comes from, isn't in the warranty they offer. It isn't even in the price of the product. It is found in the treatment of their customers, especially important if they happen to be beyond your warranty. Having a bunch of hand tied drones is ridiculous.

When I called Tech Support, they wouldn't even give me corporate's phone number!! They have a company policy NOT to give out corporate's phone number, sounds a little ridiculous. Good luck finding that number on HP's website as well! I eventually found the correct phone number and about 1/4 of the way through the phone conversation, I was asked, exactly how did I get the phone number. As a company why would you NOT want people to know your corporate phone number?!

HP will also deny any knowledge of problems with the DV2xxx motherboard!! Ok. Maybe they aren't aware. Oh but wait, there is a Class Action Lawsuit against their hardware partner Nvidia about this range of laptops. DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 5th! http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/ My product number is OBVIOUSLY not on this site and they can't admit that they might of missed a few, so I guess I'm out of luck.

In case you have come across this thread with the same problem, here is corporate HP's phone number: 1-800-752-0900. You want to get into the open case division.

Really sorry to hear this; I got roughly the same cost quote. And nice find on your part! Customer service seems to be an issue with all laptop manufactures anymore.

I'm writing down that number.

Back