HP dv6225us notebook wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
TechSpot members,
Hello everyone, I've got a problem here, I've scanned the forums and all over google looking for the cause of the problem, hopefully I can find it here.

I own a HP dv6225us notebook. It's part of the HP Pavilion dv6000 series. I bought the notebook in February 2007 and have used it for just over a year, no problems whatsoever.

Several hours ago, I was on my computer and it started to act slow and programs were freezing up. I decided to restart the computer. However, it turned off but it then wouldn't turn back on.

I pressed the On/Off button on the top left of the laptop. The blue lights on the laptop will flash on and then,boom, turns right off. I tried this for 10 times and then on the 11th time, when I pressed the On button, the blue lights came on and then I heard the fan start. I thought I was back in business but then the notebook turned right off. Meanwhile, the screen stays black the whole time.

The notebook was charged 100% when I restarted the notebook. I figured it could be a AC Adapter problem but when I removed the battery, and tried to turn on the notebook, the same problem occured. It just turned on for a second and turned right off.

Honestly, I feel like crying because I have about 80 GB worth of files, videos, pictures that I've accumulated. I've read that ,sometimes, the problem might be a fried motherboard? Unfortunately, when it comes to the technical aspects, I am a noob.

I've taken very good care of this notebook and for this to occur only a year after I bought is is extremely frustrating. Any thoughts?

You are correct to suspect internal hardware failure. What has failed and why are other questions.

Based on the general description, it could be any number of things. Here is a list of components in an order of which I would suspect to of failed, beginning with the most likely:
  1. PSU
  2. RAM
  3. Motherboard
  4. CPU

Sadly, replacing the majority of a laptop's internal components is a task too overwhelming for the average user. Most of the internal components are either fully integrated or soldered to the motherboard. The only thing that you will likely be able to replace on your own in the list above is the RAM. Of course there could be another conflict, however, you are still best off contacting the manufacturer or an experienced and trustworthy technician.

The good news? Your data should be fine and is likely easily retrievable. This is something that you can probably do on your own. You can remove the HDD from your laptop, buy a data cable adapter and connect it to a desktop PC. You can boot into the PC as you would normally, and you should see the laptop's HDD under "My Computer". From here, you can move the files off the laptop's HDD to the desktop's HDD or any other device that you care to.

Thank you Zenosincks for your reply. I just got off HP tech support, I went through a battery of tests to turn on the notebook but to no avail.

Miraculously, I still had seven days left on my warranty so since I called in with my problem, they said they would send me a box and I'll send in my notebook for it to be fixed...free of charge. Tech support is based out of India and omg, I had a tough time understanding what the man said half the time.

I did some more research and indeed, the HP dv6000 series has been plagued by problems. I honestly can't believe that my notebook's hardware can go to crap after ONLY a year. Makes me wonder.

Quick question on retrieving the data from the laptop. If I were to remove the hard disk drive and go through the appropriate steps to recover the data, would this void my warranty? Last thing I would want to do is do something stupid, send the notebook in, and they say they won't fix it. While I wait for the box to come in, I might just take the laptop to a computer shop and see if they can do that.

:( I wish I had the mental capacity to memorize every company policy, license and contract agreement ever, but I don't. Speak with HP about that or review the information that came with your laptop.

Good luck, and congratulations on killing your laptop within warranty :D;)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back