HP laptop won't detect mouse

Jace0207

I have a HP Pavilion g6-1b79dx with Windows 7 home premium SP1. Recently it stopped detecting any mice plugged into the USB ports. I have tried all 3 ports with 2 different mice. The mice are optical and they light up, so I know they are getting power. However under device manager "Mice and other pointing devices" the only one shown is the touch pad. Please advise.

Possibly a cracked or failed system board. If ALLl of the USB ports result in the same failure,.. you need expert help.... I would first try to get hold of another hard drive and run a quick re-install to see if the problem is the same. If so, take it to a shop that has a scope with bright lights... Don't spend a lot of money. A replacement motherboard will perhaps be less costly than spending a great deal of time or money trying to figger out the problem. Your system is fairly old with a lot of use by now, right?.

If all the USB ports don't seem to be working, try this trick. It's a longshot but I've seen it work in the past.
Disconnect the USB devices. Shutdown computer. Unplug from AC. Remove the battery. Let the computer sit for a couple hours. Then put it back together, power up and try again

Well that actually worked Looking Around. The mouse worked for a few days but now it is not working again. It lights up .... other devices work in the usb, but once again the mouse is undetected. This is really starting to piss me off.

What does HP have to say about it? How long was the warranty. How far out of Warranty do you believe it to be ?

Thanks for the update, anyway,.

Haven't heard back from HP yet ... machine is still under warranty until 8-11-2012. Went to HP website, ran their auto detect software. It recommended two updates which I installed along with re-installing the chipset drivers. So far no luck,

Back