HP or Dell or Gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
none?

Many people on this forum will advise you to build your own. I agree, for many reasons. However, if you are unsure about doing it that way, I would consider going to a place like cyberpowersystem.com, where you can have a system put together as you like it. $2000 would get you a nice, nice rig. Also check with Alienware. Great systems, award winning support. I, personally, would not recommend any of the three you listed. :angel:

Last months? Computer shopper talked about this, HP has the best return policy of them all, the others will charge you $300 in restocking fees (15% of $2000) if you decide you don't want it.

For 2,000 you can put together a pretty nice machine. and it will be what yuo want not what Dell, HP or gateway decides you can have. it will alos be easily upgradable with an OS you can put on your next machine unlike the "recovery" disks the big three give you, ( if they give you a disk at all, HP usually doesnt they have a "recovery" partition.)

the best route is build your own it isnt hard and it is very satisfying.

The computer is for my mom who lives on the opposite side of the planet. I'd assemble the PC myself but shipping it is too risky considering delivery guys luv to drop-kick packages in order to hasten shipping time.

Also, don't I have to worry about the huge heatsink breaking off in transit. Having my mom install it when she gets it is out of the question. What about HP, do they have the customer install the heatsink once the computer arrives as a precaution?

Propiertery

I dont know about Gateway of HP, but dell makes properietery (their own, not brand name) power supplies and mobos. The power supplies are much smaller than normal and only max at 305 W. These proprietery stuff make it very hard to upgrade. I would go with HP becasue i hear they dont use proprietery stuff and i hear Gateway does. But best bet is build it yourself. Shipping should be ok, because thats what HP, Dell, and Gateway all do, they dont ship it in any special way.

HP, I guess

My first computer was a Compaq (HP), and it was a great little system. It had a so-so power supply, but other than the front panel connectors, nothing was proprietary. It had an MicroStar mobo with three PCI slots, and 3 5.25" drive bays (2 occupied at purchase). I upgraded the heck out of it- never a problem, and it was so quiet, you couldn't tell it was on, but for the LED's. At the time I built my own, that Compaq had 1.5 GB RAM, 350W PSU, soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, DVD RW DL, CDR RW, TV capture card, and never a strain. Hope this helps. :angel:

Hi

Yes, of the 3 you listed, I would go with HP. If it's for your mom, why don't you get her an HP laptop. I'm sure she would like the easyness of a lightweight laptop over a pc. Anyways, I've had an HP for almost 2 years now and no problems what so ever. Yes, I do agree that building your own pc is much more cost efficient etc. etc. Oh one question, why does a mother who knows nothing of computers need a 2000 dollar rig? Just curious!

I'm guessing because she paid $1500 for a computer back in '98. Probably thinks pricing is still the same today.

What do you think of alienware? They have the starwars edition and it sure looks snazzy. Can I buy their cases separately. I luv those alien case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back