HP teams up with Hynix to develop memristor technology

Jos

Staff

Computer giant HP today announced a partnership with memory supplier Hynix Semiconductor to co-develop and market memristor technology in the form of Resistive Random Access Memory (ReRAM), a non-volatile memory with lower power consumption and much greater storage capacity than current NAND flash technology found in everything from cell phones to SSDs. It will reportedly also be cheaper to produce and should perform at least 10 times faster.

The idea behind memristors started as a theoretical prediction way back in 1971 and is considered to be the "missing link" in electronics, a fourth basic circuit element in chip engineering to supplement the more familiar resistor, capacitor and inductor that form the basis of every electronic device. In short, memristors are resistors with memory capabilities -- they change resistance when electric current is applied and can 'remember' off/on states without power. This makes them great candidates for storage devices that require little energy to function.

Memristors could potentially be used in logic circuits as well, replacing the billions of transistors inside today's microprocessors to handle computation more efficiently and occupying far less space. For now the HP and Hynix partnership is focused on storage technologies, though. Under the agreement, Hynix will implement HP's memristor technology in its research and development fabrication plant. Actual ReRAM products could ship in three years.

Permalink to story.

I remember I saw a post about memristor technology at maximumpc about a year ago.
They were claiming that it would be able to handle clock frequencies that are as high as 100 GHz.
Imho, if they do this technology right and get a good logic on their chips I'm sure they would CRUSH. Intels current processors by as much 1000x faster performance......
The new processors today are really a joke, the only difference you see is like 10 % faster IF even that much faster and slightly better thermal performance, unless its a new chip that just carries extra useless cores..... The only place where 2+ cores are really utilized is 3D editing software, servers and CAD workstations. For the regular PC gamer an user, more then 2 cores is madness and a waste of money unless you convert 100's of movies per day which if very far fetched.

Come off it mate you're just blowing hot air out your ***.. this is so far, speculation. A good chance this will never hit the shelves and even if it does there may be severe drawbacks that limit its usefulness. I like the idea of cheaper, faster,smaller SSD, that require less energy (as I do women). That's probably got the most legs on it, as ram replacement .. we'll see.. those mem lanes and the quantum pitch problem, at these Node gates and ramping speeds, will create immense Leakage problems (like your Grans Pants). High-K rubithium is already 2x 3x the price it was in '98. Must stop talking to Drashek.

Back