HTC's RE camera is the GoPro for the rest of us

Shawn Knight

Staff member

htc camera gopro gopro hero action camera video camera re re camera htc re standalone camera

HTC’s rumored GoPro competitor is now official but as it turns out, the standalone camera isn’t taking aim at action sports enthusiasts. Instead, the oddly-named HTC RE is in a category by itself – a GoPro for the rest of us, if you will, that HTC is hoping people will opt to use instead of their smartphone.

Inside the periscope-shaped camera is a 1 2/3-inch CMOS sensor that can snap 16-megapixel images as well as 1080p video at 30fps or 720p slow-motion clips at 120fps. The RE uses an ultra-wide angle, 146-degree lens with a fixed focal length. It carries an IPX7 water and dust rating which can be improved to IPX8 through an optional waterproof cap.

The camera features a minimalist design. Much like the first generation Lytro camera, there’s no viewfinder or LCD display to see what you’re shooting or how it turned out.

htc camera gopro gopro hero action camera video camera re re camera htc re standalone camera

Instead, you get a shutter button that can be pressed once to take a picture or long-pressed to record video and another button to toggle slow-motion / time lapse modes. There’s a microphone on the top as well as a speaker and LED indicator below the slow-motion button.

Interestingly enough, there isn't even a power button – the camera is always ready to go when you press the shutter button (so long as the battery is charged, of course). Sensors inside the camera detect when you pick it up which should prevent accidental images being captured when inside your pocket or purse.

The camera can connect to your Android or iOS device via Bluetooth LE and Wi-Fi to perform tasks like backing up pictures and videos and changing camera settings. The app can also be used to turn your mobile device into a wireless viewfinder and shutter.

Storage needs are handled via microSD card that slots into the camera from the bottom beside the tripod / accessory mount. The RE comes equipped with an 8GB card although it’ll accept cards with capacities up to 128GB. It operates off an 820mAh battery that’s rated to capture up to 1,600 pictures or 100 minutes of continuous video recording.

Much like a GoPro, HTC is preparing a number of accessories for the RE including a charging station, head mount, suction cup mount and bike clip mount, just to name a few.

The HTC RE is available for pre-order as of writing and will ship later this month priced at $199. It could be a tough sell at that price, especially when you consider GoPro recently unveiled an entry-level camera priced at just $129.

Permalink to story.

For "the rest of us", for $199, while GoPro can be had for $129. Good luck with that!

Kudos to them for taking a risk and not just making an HTC Go Pro. HTC's phone cameras are great, so I expect this to be equally as impressive, but Go Pros are pretty nice too.

The problem HTC will have to overcome is that GoPro has become synonymous with a point-of-view camera. They TOTALLY should have named this something that could be a verb. The phrase 'Dude, are you gonna GoPro that?' doesn't translate well to 'Dude, are you gonna RE that?' They missed the boat there.

But... they come in huge in portability category, which is perhaps the most important. This thing looks far lighter and easier to carry than a GoPro. Lighter makes it easier to put on a kite or handle drops to the ground.

I'm looking forward to the reviews.... and to what Go Pro's stock will do tomorrow. It's been on a tear in the last month... I wonder what this will do.

Really like this direction
camera for stalkers
quick to the action snugs completely inside the palm of your hand

Do people actually say that? It sounds so silly. I woulda though you'd rather say something like 'Dude, are you gonna shoot that?'

You don't think a 16 yr old snowboarder would say something silly? (no offense to 16 yr old snowboards, of course :) Bing!, Yahoo, Google are all silly names and Google even named an OS version Froyo! Silly has never stopped anyone.
The GoPro Hero is a huge ego-stroking name for the selfie generation. I think HTC should have thought of a better name to compete, especially since that periscope is anything but bad-a$$ or cool.

Now that it's the next morning we can also see that GoPro's stock is still going up. investors don't appear to be worried about HTC.

Heck, I still here people say, after they have taken a video of something stupid for youtube....
"I got that one tape, I got that on tape".

The design looks funny... n how to you even know that your shooting want you want if there's no viewfinder ? or you just point and hope for the best.

The design looks funny... n how to you even know that your shooting want you want if there's no viewfinder ? or you just point and hope for the best.
That does not make sense to me either. Sure the article says that you can use Bluetooth with your Android or iOS device but that seems really cumbersome.

Until the Hero 4 Silver you couldn't do it on GoPros either. With the fisheye and wide field of view there is quite a bit of forgiveness on pointing it the right direction. It isn't that hard to point the camera where you want to record stuff. You aren't recording stationary stuff most of the time (unless doing timelapse), these are designed for POV recording of sports type stuff so the camera is mobile - further reducing the need for perfectly lining up a shot. Furthermore, this and the GoPros can connect wirelessly to a (modern) smartphone with live playback of what the camera is seeing so you can make adjustments that way if you must.

I cannot see the point of this device as you can get a pretty good waterproof camera for less money that give you 1080p recording and 5x optical zoom. Not forgetting the display screen!

Yeah, perhaps not that exact phrase. But I have a GoPro and I know a few other people that do. Its pretty common to ask if you are going to 'gopro' something.
Random House and Webster will likely have to add "gopro", (as a verb), to their rapidly devolving dictionaries all too soon.

Back