Huawei executive shows off 6.1-inch smartphone ahead of CES reveal

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung’s Galaxy Note II currently holds the crown as the world’s largest smartphone with regards to screen size but that might not be the case for much longer. A recent report from Engadget sheds some light on Huawei’s upcoming 6.1-inch monstrosity known as the Ascend Mate before its official debt at the Consumer Electronics Show early next month.

Huawei chairman Richard Yu was recently spotted showing off the handset at a company store in Guangzhou a couple of days ago. Fortunately for us, someone was quick on their feet and picked up some footage of the phone to share with the rest of the world.

The video doesn’t reveal a ton of information about the phone but if previous rumors are to be believed, consumers can expect the Ascend Mate to ship with a quad-core 1.8GHz HiSilicon K3V3 processor, 2GB of system memory and a massive 4,000mAh battery. The aforementioned 6.1-inch display, according to the executive, is built using low temperature polysilicon and boasts a screen density of 361ppi. All of this will be packed inside a shell that’s just 9.9mm thick at a price of around $480.

Huawei is also expected to release two other smartphones at CES: the Windows 8-based Ascend W1 as well as the Android-powered Ascend D2. Yu said earlier this month that the latter handset would be a “Dream Phone” that will likely be too expensive to produce. Rumors indicate the D2 will ship with a 5-inch 1080p display, quad-core 1.5GHz CPU, 13-megapixel camera and a 3,000mAh battery.

Permalink to story.

This is mobile industry running amok. They do what they can, instead of what they should...

I was one to learn my lesson the hard way - wanted to have something between a phone and a tablet, which just didn't work. I ended up with what I should have gone for in the beginning, simply a good phone and a good tablet as two devices.

My experimental fusion of the two was Galaxy Note 2, which I found being quite bad as a phone, and nothing of a tablet either. Now what - a bigger version of that crap - keep it, Huawei, I'm so not interested. I'd rather get a 7" tablet with 1080P, but a 6.1" phone is a pure nonsense!

I disagree. I have been using the note 2 for over a month now, and couldn't love it more.
love the giant screen, and anything else looks smallish to me now. I think the 6.1 could be my next phone.

How many Note 2 have been sold in the world? 5 million until 25 Nov. There is a market for phablets. Obviously they can't please everyone. Want a smaller phone? Go for it. There are plenty choices out there. For people who wants bigger screen, this is a dream phone.

Guess some people dont care that they commit social suicide by using these things...kk

What detractors fail to realise is that although "phone" used to mean a device for making voice calls, it now actually refers to a small portable computer and thus the ergonomics with regard to holding it up to your ear and making calls is of much lesser importance than it used to be, and the younger you are the less importance calls have. I don't think people under twenty even make phone calls at all anymore.

I have the Galaxy Note 2 and I love the big screen, in fact I'd like even bigger. As long as it still fits in my pocket and isn't too bulky when sitting down. I spend many hours throughout the day using my Galaxy Note 2, and maybe ten minutes of that time is actually talking on it. It is more like a pocket sized personal computer that can also make phone calls.

As to the "social suicide" comment, that couldn't be more false. People walk up to me and ask me questions about it all the time. A few of my friends have actually gone out and bought their own after trying mine. Now with Sharp mass producing 5 inch 1080p screens, I have a feeling 2013 will be the year of the 5 inch and above phone.

I haven't held a phone to my ear to use it as a phone since the very first BT headset I bought years ago. The screen since for a "phablet" around 7" would be PERFECT! I've had the Dell Streak, & the international version of the original galaxy note. Couldn't go back to a under 5" screen for anything. At least there is a CHOICE in screen sizes with Android...unlike the fruit device ;)

Back