Huawei turned in a solid Q4 in China at the expense of Apple and Xiaomi

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Considering Apple no longer shares sales figures for its iPhone, reports like these are perhaps the most accurate indicator we have of market performance. As you'll see, IDC's findings are on par with what another research firm reported last month.

Shipments of Apple and Xiaomi smartphones in China plummeted during the fourth quarter of 2018 according to a report published by International Data Corporation (IDC) on Monday (via Bloomberg).

In the final three months of 2018, shipments of Apple’s iPhone dropped 19.9 percent year-over-year while Xiaomi saw its shipments slashed by more than a third compared to the same period a year earlier.

Nobody told Huawei about the smartphone slump. The Chinese tech giant saw its shipments in the homeland increase by 23.3 percent during the most recent quarter, pushing its local market share to an impressive 29 percent. Vivo experienced growth of 3.1 percent year-over-year while Oppo saw its numbers nudge north by 1.5 percent, IDC found.

Collectively, all others saw shipments drop by 44.4 percent in the quarter.

The findings are in line with a report last month from Canalys on the health of the Chinese smartphone market. If you recall, smartphone shipments in China slid to 396 million units in 2018 according to Canalys, down from 459 million in 2017.

Lead image courtesy DoublePHOTO studio via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

I can't be accused of being an apple hater since I've been with iPhone since the start and I currently have an XS MAX 512GB...

...but...

The problem with Apple, especially in Asian countries, is that Apple's product does not culturally blend with Asian (Chinese) users as well as the Chinese manufacturers do.

#1 The prices now are ridiculously high: over $1000 - when I was able to buy my girlfriend a Samsung J6 in Manila for less than $300. The average Asian doesn't make "that much" (Phillipine's average salary annually is less than $5000...in China as well)

Apple doesn't market directly to Asians like they do to Americans. When I was in Dubai in 2015 the Dubai Mall didn't have an Apple Store. In China, so much Apple stuff is fake knockoffs, you don't even want to risk shopping there.

#2 Beyond being the top-end, must-have fashion trend, Apple hasn't really put forth any true reason to upgrade from iPhone 7 or iPhone 8 unless you demand the best iOS device you can get.

Popular "on purpose". Think about it. With the commie government, and the "people" being watched 24/7, their social media being blasted to the public if they do something the government deems wrong, would you buy a phone from a Chinese government approved company like Huawei, ZTE, Oppo or hundreds of other "home grown" companies, or from the "evil bad" American company Apple?

Back