Hulu Plus officially announced, coming to PS3, Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After at least a year's worth of rumors, Hulu has finally unveiled its new pay model called Hulu Plus. As expected, the premium service costs $10 per month and subscribers have access to a ton of extra content, such as complete series or current seasons of TV shows, rather than just a few episodes. Unfortunately, as everyone feared, advertisements are still present for paying users. On the bright side, Hulu says all native HD content is available to stream in 720p.

Along with extra TV shows, Hulu Plus is far more accessible with applications already available for the Apple mobile devices like the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch via Wi-Fi or 3G, as well as Web-connected Samsung HDTVs and Blu-ray players. Support for the PlayStation 3 is expected in July, while the Xbox 360 will get Hulu Plus early next year. The service is also "coming soon" to Vizio and Sony HDTVs and Blu-ray players.

If you're interested in signing up, you'll have to request an invitation here. The site says it will issue invitations in waves over the coming months to ensure it's offering the best experience for members. Here's a more complete look at the library of shows included with Hulu Plus. It's worth noting that the basic free version of Hulu you're probably familiar with is still available and unchanged – for now anyway.

Permalink to story.

No thanks. Ten bucks plus ads? And to be honest, their lineup is pretty lean. Only one season of "Family Guy," and no "Simpsons." Nothing from the A&E and Discovery channels, none of the two most popular reality shows, "Survivor" and "Amazing Race," very few TV classics like "Twilight Zone," "Outer Limits," "Addams Family," "Gilligan's Island," etc.

Not sure who this is really going to attract.

Aww...come on Hulu. I stood up for you, I gave you a chance...and you let me down. Looks like i'm going to have to go over to fancast, lol.

Meh I'm a bit disappointed, as Tom already pointed out the full season lineups are lacking at least for me. Their are some real amazing discontinued and old shows available and very few were included and no movies at all that I read. Of course that could change in the future as they continue to grow it. The ads are also a big downer, the only thing I could be alright with is if the ads are the ones that play first similar to a trailer then commercial free throughout the show.

HD + multiple devices is definitely welcomed, but overall for me at the moment it's not worth $10. I'm hopeful it'll get better as time passes.

Might want to mention that for The PS3 it will require a PlayStation Plus subscription... looks like the fanboys day of bashing Xbox Live are gone since it costs twice as much... or 3 times depending on where you get it from.

As mentioned the lineup is very poor. It sounds like the $10/month gets you access to the entire season of shows instead of just the recent ones however you still have to sit through ads, no thanks.

If Hulu would have legacy discovery , animal planet , NGC shows , the good quality documentaries , fishing and ofcourse Ray Mears ; plus stuff like stargate , xfiles , ... then it would look more of a great offer .... but discovery clutered the network with stupid auto-moto and business shows plus crap shows like "smash lab" and "prototype this" , not only that , extreme engeneering was cool , but it got replaced by a spamload of entertainment engineering shows with a super trouble solving and awfully scripted narrator. Stuff like "big stuff" "really big things" "megabuilders" (i think the narrator switched) and black gold is another entertainment drama of business , i guess people love to watch low class workers being fired and hamered down by stupid age old oil well desing , who the heck would work on a rig that's 50 years old, you alot of times see how the show presents past criminals , "his violent past" ... etc. I think they make like this just for entertainment drama , just like man vs wild (ultimate survival) , it's entertainment of a man running in weird places.

And the shows are presented like they solve problems AS shows progresses lmfao , not , engineers thought up everything regardless of the cameramans and the show and have prototypes and simulations , the show makes the problems up, and then solves it magically.

I think the saving grace for Hulu Plus (if it makes it) will be the multiple platform capabilities, particularly mobile ones. I can see the mobile side easily becoming dominant as far as viewership demographics, but it won't happen with the shallow library now available, as others have mentioned. If they can actually put some depth into the selection, make it an actual media LIBRARY and not just a skim off the top of the latest popular shows (and get some other networks on board) it might have a shot.

As it is now... Too much for too little. Get some real meat on your bones, Hulu, and I might consider opening up my wallet. But no way I'm paying for the skinny runt you are presently.

And I live in Mexico. Hulu is "sorry, but..." - a phrase that always, without exception, translates to a big FU. Sorry back at you, Hulu, but Usenet does the job, so pfffft.

Usenet is also cheaper and the commercials are cut out of the shows before they're posted. I probably wouldn't enjoy Hulu anyway (said the fox, staring up at the inaccessible no doubt sour grapes).

Great PS3 and Xbox360 will have the same prices but oh wait what's this you paid for Hulu Plus but your Xbox Gold expired wow looks like you are paying more (does a little tap dance) thus the Microsoft Nickle-and-Diming cycle continues.

Kyosuke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back