Hurricane Katrina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikael

Hurricane Katrina has devastated parts of the southern United States. :( Hundreds of people are feared dead and the area is obviously in ruins. Some reports have stated that some towns may be without power for months. There is also quite a bit of looting that is occuring in New Orleans.

Your thoughts on this major tragedy?

I feel so sorry for all those that are affected by this tragedy.

I would like to offer my condolences to all the people whome have lost loved ones.

My sympathy goes out to all the thousands that are suffering at this time.

President George W Bush has called on Americans to donate to the Red Cross or other organisations to help while his priority was "saving lives"

This is how the BBC are reporting the terrible events.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4199350.stm

No doubt Tony Blair and his govenment will do all they can to help.

I`m sure a lot of the British public will also try to help in what ever way they can.

Regards Howard.

they got it pretty bad. i salute those involved.

the broken levees resulted in flooding of biblical proportions, and the roads are out underwater. even the lake ponchetrain causeway is wrecked. i think the south, especially louisiana, will never be the same again. i think thie hurricane's effect on the petroleum industry of the region will drive the cost of gas up.

I live in South Florida. Katrina was a baby when it came through here and it still did a lot of damage. I was here for Andrew, so I can relate up to a point with the folks on the Gulf Coast. My heart goes out to them. It's going to be a long hard road for many to get back to some sort of "normal" life.

I used to live in Pembroke Pines myself :)

Anyhow, I want to know where the hell is the rest of the world and thier support?? Everyone hammered on the US for not supporting the Tsumani efforts ENOUGH, but at least we helped! We sent hundeds of millions of dollars. I wanna know where the rest of the world is, and when we are going to get some damn help!

I don't think it is fair to assume that countries will just decide to fork over money to the United States. The United States will be able to re-build itself. (Don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean that we should turn down any offers of aid.) We have money and resources (i.e. man power), we just have to use whatever resources we have a bit more efficiently.

I wanted everyone to know I saw this thread. But also I have nothing positive at all in any direction to say about the hurricane and everything that ensued.

The end.

/I may repost if something really lights my fire.

I have nothing to add but the sentiments already expressed, but I do have a couple of comments I feel the need to make.

1, The 'experts' have been warning of hurricane disaster in New Orleans for years. Why is it that nobody listens to the people who know these things BEFORE lives are lost?

2, Why is it that I seem to be hearing so much about the price of gasoline lately? I mean, it's particularly gauling here in the uk where we pay about $1.40 a LITRE, even though the UK is an oil producing country (producing oil VERY good for refining), and the surplus which we don't use ourselves is shipped off to the US. But more to the point, many lives have undoubtedly been lost, and many more are suffering immensely. There is growing scientific consensus (even in the US, as Congress and the president himself have now agreed) that intense storms SUCH AS this are very likely likely to be becoming more and more frequent as a result of global warming. And yet there are STILL Americans (however few they may be, they certainly seem to be geting a pretty large voice) complaining about the price of gasoline, which by UK standards might as well be free! I swear, some people don't know how good they really have it!

The civilisation on this world is a strange and screwed up place.

well spike

global warming is often to blame for this crap, but look at the 'recent' record of storms like this, they go in cycles, last one ended in the 60s, this one began in the late 90s. Coincidentally? this huge global warming bad weather el dingo (nino) crap sprang to the surface. So I'm not trying to cause a fight here, just asking you to consider your sources, and global patterns before assigining 'blame'.

Also, gas prices (excuse me 'petrol') prices in europe, I don't know why you guys pay more than we do in the US, thats not something to ask the United States about, thats something to ask your country and the other oil producing countries about. I don't think you can blame any of your prices on us.

back to your original question, on the knowing about its potential for disaster and nothing being done about it, well I can't rationalize it, but it happens all the time. thats part of the reason I'm so irritated about the whole thing, and the looters on top of it. Despite world opinion the US tries/wants to make a good image, then a 'disaster' that gets world attention happens and we have some asshats doing crap like that really really pisses me off.

global warming is often to blame for this crap, but look at the 'recent' record of storms like this, they go in cycles, last one ended in the 60s, this one began in the late 90s. Coincidentally? this huge global warming bad weather el dingo (nino) crap sprang to the surface. So I'm not trying to cause a fight here, just asking you to consider your sources, and global patterns before assigining 'blame'.

Indeed, you are perfectly correct, and I tried to choose my words carefully (clearly not carefully enough). In terms of El Nino, it acctually tends to suppress hurricane activity, though during el nno years those that aren't suppressed can get very big. I have no idea whether we are in such a period, but there ya go. Congress, on scientific advice, have passed a bill that was thrown out in disgust 10 years ago to reduce, and reverse greenhouse gas emmisions. Pres. Bush has been making concessions from his original stance, now admitting that global warming is at least an issue that needs to be dealt with, though last I heared he believes that to be a matter for the future. Scientists in the meantime are very careful not to blame any particular event on global warming, but there is consensus (still growing) that global warming is most likely to blame for the current changing patterns and increasing severity of weather around the world (not just localised to the US).

Also, gas prices (excuse me 'petrol') prices in europe, I don't know why you guys pay more than we do in the US, thats not something to ask the United States about, thats something to ask your country and the other oil producing countries about. I don't think you can blame any of your prices on us.

Again, absolutely correct. Our prices are so high because of the amount of tax we have to pay on it. That's nothing to ask the US about. It's gauling only for a uk persons point of view. Not that US prices are so cheap, but that US peeps moan about rising prices when they pay rediculously little for it compared to us (and much of the rest of europe) and in fact we acctually sell the stuff to the US and still get charged the earth for it. That's not the US's problem, it's ours, but none the less, it certainly shows that the price of gas in the us is not exactly the end of the world. It coud be worse. A LOT worse.

back to your original question, on the knowing about its potential for disaster and nothing being done about it, well I can't rationalize it, but it happens all the time. thats part of the reason I'm so irritated about the whole thing, and the looters on top of it. Despite world opinion the US tries/wants to make a good image, then a 'disaster' that gets world attention happens and we have some asshats doing crap like that really really pisses me off.

I quite agree. I do sometimes think that certain leaders (I name no names) are a little misguided on what exactle making a good image involves, but I happily accept that that's what the US wants. It's what every country wants - UK, France, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Russia, Iran, Israel, Palestine... The only real exception being north Korea who take the "think what you like. We're building a nuke" approach to international diplomacy.

The thing with knowing the potential for disaster and doing nothing - it happens far too often At the end of the day, it all boils down to money, as sad as that is. There might be a potential for disaster, but as long as it hasn't happened yet it doesn't exist, so you can call the 'doomsday' people crackpots and get away without spending a penny. When will we learn and acctually place more respect in human life than in the almighty dollar (or pound, or euro?). As for the looting thing, I completely and totally agree.

In terms of the opil thing, please understand that I wasn't trying to have a pop at americans on the whole. The people I was talking about, I said they were a few, in truthe they could be many, or could be just one as far as I know. All I know is that they've been gicven a voice they shouldn't have - there are more important things to worry about really. I meantioned petrol prices and global warming and stuff purely for perspective. I still feel that these people need to get a grip and realise that even if gas does start costing a few cents more, and more again after that, they still have it pretty good. Also, given that they have it pretty good, at a time like this, there are far more important things they could be vocal about that their own pockets and self interests.

Anyways, in summary - nothing against Americans in general, but one hell of a lot against the attitudes of a particular group (however small or large) that are getting far more airtime than they deserve, given the circumstances (ie, death, destruction, suffering, homelessness for perhaps hundereds of thousands)

spike
I respect you a lot for being man enough to actually voice your opinions, lots of peole don't do that (believe it or not).
I'm glad you responded, you and I disputing things will do nothing at the moment so we don't need to try.
I'm glad you responded, and I encourage others to, and hopefully I won't be the only 'counter' argument.

Thankyou SNG - I was concerned that perhaps I'd been a bit to blunt, but it seems I've been sufficiently diplomatic in the way I've said it. You are quite right. Now probably isn't the time for a bitchy argument (not that I'd want one anyway). That said, there's nothing wrong with healthy discussion which is all I'd ever hope for. Considering that this is probably a very tense issue at an emotional time, I'd also like to thank you for not biting my head off :) Much respect to you for that! lol

seriously though, while I hold the views I do (which in fairness probably lean ever so slightly to the left, and so would naturally oppose the current administration), I'm more than happy to conceed that I may not be right - but hey, freedom of expression/speech and all that. The truth, as always, probably lies somewhere in the middle, and I'm more than happy to accept that.

I'd just like to thankyou for the compliment (always welcome :D), and thankyou for the conversation - it's given me a little bit to think about.

slightly to the left?? hahha..

This is the biggest natural disaster to ever take place in this country. It's not a presidents fault, it's not the fault of global warming. You cannot control nature. This is tragic, yet it is also simply amazing just how powerful nature is. Let's clean this crap up, and get those people the money and help they need. Like I said previous, I am still awaiting other countries to sympathise with us. I know Blair will, but I doubt the rest will. Time will tell.
Paul

Heh crazyace, lets not try and get some fire started.

It took several edits and retypes of my last post (3am if you check time) before I could make a post sound even halfway intellegent without attacking spike.

I'm up for a civilized (but more real time and less 'edited') conversation on this in the irc channel :)

Update:
I'm seeing this from multiple sources. There are hundreds if not thousands of citizens trying to help in boats, and some are literally getting SHOT at, so at least some of them are stopping for the time being.
The whole situation there is so messed up there..

i and others are a bit disheartened by the fact that right now people are taking advantage of the mayhem to loot, and have gang wars in the superdome. it's pretty irresponsible, but things would certainly seem different from thier perspective...

the government, which is at this time controlled by the republicans, is letting bad things happen to america. they will not take action to protect american jobs from outsourcing and pay cuts (and why should they, the politicians see nothing worthy in it for themselves) and let the oil corporations charge whatever they want. this situation has the potential to get very ugly by the time winter rolls around.
Spike said:
It's gauling only for a uk persons point of view. Not that US prices are so cheap, but that US peeps moan about rising prices when they pay rediculously little for it compared to us (and much of the rest of europe) and in fact we acctually sell the stuff to the US and still get charged the earth for it.
i agree. when i visited europe, i found gas in germany to cost something like $6.25/gallon in 2004 (compared to the recent jump to $3.50/gallon here).
Spike said:
it certainly shows that the price of gas in the us is not exactly the end of the world. It coud be worse. A LOT worse.
you've got that right.

It's events like this this that bring out the highs and lows of humanity.

On the good side you've got the people risking their lives to help others, and I salute them.
On the other hand, you have the scum of the the earth who take advantage of this horrifying situation to rape pillage and kill, all for a few bits of jewelery and some TVs.

Why do these people degrade themselves and New Orleans, who are they helping.

They may smile, they may have looted enough to replace their lost possesions, but it's punch in the face for the ethics of society :unch:
No quarter should be given to those loot their own people.

I am not at all suprised by the recent event of people in New Orleans. You would not be either if you had ever visted the bad sections of the city. I mean bad. The only thing keeping them in line, was the police. Take them away, and you have a very bad situation.

AS far as my political views, I think the fact that it took this long to get WATER down to a small reigon (compared to the rest of the country) is terrible. 4 days, eh you might say...try not drinking or eating for 4 days. Now factor in infants, and elderly and the sick. I think it is terrible. No ones fault per se...but just a terribly mismanged situaiton. i pray for them

My 2 cents

Sean

as far as i can tell, the government has thus far taken little action. they need battle-ready PT boats and real soldiers to restore order. instead they sent some incomplete national guard platoons and left the rest to the local police forces that are overwhelmed by the weather alone. as i understand it, there are numerous gangs engaging in firefights within the refugee areas. it's not even close to a decent scene over there.

the last time US soldiers were called in on civilian matters was in 1957 with the little rock nine situation. and we all know what those unruly citizens did when they were staring down the barrels of US army rifles - they got in line. needless to say that this situation calls for more action than the givernment has given already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back