I am wanting to play The Sims 2 but am having graphics card problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeniflen

Hi, right, like a lot of people I have found on the web I am wanting to play The Sims 2 but am having graphics card problems. I have an Intel graphics card a 82915G Express Chipset Family to be exact. I checked and the card is compatible but I am still unable to play the game so now I just figure, hey, I might as well get a new graphics card so I need to know if a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 is compatible with my system or whatever. And also, how the hell do I go about installing it. I appreciate any replys and advice because I am very frustrated.

Thanks.

Edit: Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

Hi, we need more system information as we'll need to know what kind of video slot you have available, be it PCI, AGP or PCI-Express.

If you have an OEM model PC, such as a Sony, Dell, Gateway or HP- the make/model would suffice. Otherwise you may wish to look up Everest and run this as it will retrieve some system information we'll need to give insights on the best upgrade for your system.

As far as an FX5200 goes, I'd strongly urge against this unless it's your only option. There are other budget cards available that will yield substantially greater performance and compatibility for most system.

Well, I have an E-Machines PC...Pentium 4 processor, 256 MB memory, 2.66GHZ processor, all I want to do is be able to play the sims 2....maybe I should buy a PC but even then, I have no idea which one?

We still need more information as that does not tell us what kind of video slot your system has. We'll need the make/model of E-Machines.. or you can download/run Everest to determine this.

It appears as though your system has an adequate CPU if it is indeed a Pentium 4 and above 2.0 ghz speed. You WILL need more memory though, and as you mentioned, a new videocard. If your system has expandable capabilities to add a new 3d card, and some more memory- as well as the power supply for both, you should be fine for Sims2 with your existing system.

Of course, that's a lot of "IF"s, which we cant answer until you can determine what E-Machines PC you have. :)

Although the speed is above 2.0ghz, the system will run it terribly (I know from experience). Run a program by the name of CPU-Z (google it to find it), and give us all of the information listed in the program.

I'm still not sure what information you need. I downloaded Everest and it's kind of confusing but here we go.

Field Value
Computer
Computer Type ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name JENNY (Jenny's cool and groovy computer )
User Name Jennifer
Logon Domain [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Date / Time 2006-09-06 / 10:24

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 505, 2666 MHz (20 x 133)
Motherboard Name Intel Augsburg D915GAG (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915G
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type AMI (07/22/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel GMA 900

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC880(D) @ Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive ST380013AS (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:12x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network
Primary IP Address [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Primary MAC Address 00-11-F5-2B-23-0B
Network Adapter GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem (169. [ TRIAL VERSION ])
Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (172. [ TRIAL VERSION ])
Modem Smart Link 56K Voice Modem

Peripherals
FireWire Controller AT&T/Lucent IEEE1394 FireWire Controller (PHY: Agere FW322/323)
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]
USB Device GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem
USB Device Logitech QuickCam Express #2
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

DMI
DMI BIOS Vendor Intel Corp.
DMI BIOS Version EV91510A.15A.0067.2004.0722.1717
DMI System Manufacturer
DMI System Product
DMI System Version
DMI System Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI System UUID [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer Intel Corporation
DMI Motherboard Product D915GAG
DMI Motherboard Version AAC77881-303
DMI Motherboard Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Manufacturer
DMI Chassis Version
DMI Chassis Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Asset Tag [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Type
DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 4 / 3

I hope that tells you what you need to know and thanks once again for the help.

Another Emachine ey...

No offense but they are the biggest pieces of **** you can buy...

If you have the money, keep some usefull components and buy some new things to upgrade.

Regards,

Korrupt

I think that in the interest of saving time I will just buy a new computer...My sister chose this one thinking she knew a lot about PCs and since I got my PC I have been learning a little bit more so maybe this time I will wait and buy a good one.

Thanks anyway guys.

have a look HERE

This should help you out a bit. I will update it too since some new things are out

Regards,

Korrupt

hi jeniflen!
There really is no reason to throw out that system, now that you have provided some more information about it.

It has a good socket, good memory and even a PCI-Express slot for adding better graphics/3d card. It will take even the most current Intel Extreme Edition Pentium processors and dual-core processors. It also has dual-channel memory support and many features.

You can likely play Sims2 right now, but extremely, extremely slowly. All you'd have to do are some downloads and driver updates, but you really want at the very minimum would be more memory. The ideal would be more memory and a new 3d graphics card. This will then beg how big of a power supply your system has, which we may still need to determine.

To try things right, now- first thing you should do is update the drivers for your current Intel integrated card, then update directX.

To do this, start with the videocard drivers at:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Home Edition&lang=eng
Click on the DOWNLOAD button on the above link. Install these drivers and you'll likely need a reboot after wards.

Then, update your directx to the latest 9.0c version at:
http://www.microsoft.com/directx
Click the "Get the latest version of directx" link at that page and download/install this.

You should be able to get Sims2 to install and work, but it will be excruciatingly slow as you have too little memory to run this game and XP, not to mention your integrated videocard also takes some of your system's memory.

That motherboard of yours takes DDR-400 memory, you can add 1 gig of dual-channel ddr-400 memory cheaply and it is very easy to install.
2x512mb sticks to retain dual-channel memory can be added for $109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820148007

A new PCI-Express videocard that would be perfect for Sims2 would run you about $80-$120 and there are many to choose from in that price range.

If your power supply doesn't have enough power for these upgrades, a new power supply will be around $50-$100. Unless you know the exact model of E-Machines you have, the only way to check your current power supply is to open the case and look at the sticker on the power supply itself.

All being told, you should have everything you need for playing Sims2 for under $200 US through upgrades on your system. You should be able to install the memory yourself, as well as the videocard, as it simply requires opening the case, snapping in the memory into locking slots, and screwing down the new videocard. There are some settings and driver installs that can get tricky, but the members of this forum are here to help you with that should you encounter problems.

no need to get high-end ram as it is intended for overclocking and an eMachine can't OC anyways this ram here is what you want very stable and alot more cheapier and you will still get the same ammount of performance (-5% performance wich is unoticeable)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145477

This should handle Sims2 smothly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143049

This should handle sims2 and be alot more cheapier then buying a new PC nicely and your set for gamming
have fun. :)

CrossFire851 said:
..this ram here is what you want very stable and alot more cheapier and you will still get the same ammount of performance (-5% performance wich is unoticeable)
I respectfully disagree as getting 512mb vs. 1 gig will yield a huge, huge difference in performance with The Sims2. It's a total memory hog.

The OCZ memory is not only faster, but is 2x512mb for 1 gig, dual-channel. You've linked a 512mb standard memory, which will have very poor performance in The Sims2.

I play this game with University, Nightlife, Open for Biz and the two stuff packs and it'll easily consume 1.7-2.0 gig memory on a simple two or three story dwelling, family of 3-4. With 1 gig, it'll still use 500-800mb pagefile. 2 gigs was ideal for expansions.

CrossFire851 said:
but no need for highend ram.
Absolutely agree here.. just $109 for 2x512mb was a smokin' deal for name-brand memory. Even the CAS3/system memories by generics on special right now are $114-$120 for the 1 gig kits hehe.

Prices change so often though.. might be some cheaper Corsairs or Crucials next week, who knows. Everything is in flux right now.. ugh.

the E-machines powersupplies (PSUs) are notorious at shorting out and frying the motherboard or other components especially when the added load of upgrades puts more stress on the PSU. Your current PSU is a bestec either 250 or 300w depending on the model of your system. Most new vid cards would require a PSU upgeade.

Here some Good PSUs that will give you plennty of power and stability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104952
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103927
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103459
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S36ATX
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47ATX

Woah, firstly; Thank you all for your help.
I have installed the latest drivers and directx. I am able to play the sims and it's not all that slow until I have been playing for a couple of hours. The problem occurs when I try to save it.
You suggest updating the video card and memory but as I don't know much about computers I don't really want to open the case of my machine incase I break it altogether.
Instead I am going to seem snobby and just get a new one, leaving this one for my brothers lol.

Once again, thanks a lot and as I said before, I'd be grateful for advice on which PC to buy! :)

jeniflen said:
Instead I am going to seem snobby and just get a new one, leaving this one for my brothers lol.
Hey, nothing snobby about being a good PC consumer and buying upgraded PC's.. hehe.

What kind of budget are you looking at? We can recommend many pre-built systems that will be Sims2 ready.

Unfortunately, MANY pre-built systems will be very similar to your E-Machines; lots of good hardware but really not well suited for gaming and will need many upgrades to be truly "game-ready".. only some of the higher-end models are good for gaming.. and as the last poster mentioned, Sims2 is really more cpu & memory bound than pushing the edge of 3d graphics technology.

If you have a US-$ budget in mind, we can help lead you to many models that would be good to buy for playing Sims2 and other new games.

On an aside, my GF has been keeping me up nights with the latest Open for Business exp. and Glamor Life pack.. ugh. Thanks for the suggestion as next time, I'm getting her an E-Machine.. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back