I can't download a different OS

Last week I downloaded ubuntu because I wanted to try it and now I can't go back to windows,I can't download another linux based OS please help me.

Well Mr. Bill, or can I call you "Kill" for short, if you downloaded and installed Ubuntu, it would have installed its own "GRUB" boot loader. GRUB boots to Linux as first choice, and you have to use the keyboard's up/down arrows to make your choice of OS, and then hit "Enter".

The idea you can't download another distro of Linux while you're in Ubuntu is fascinating, and the next time I power down, I'll allow this machine to boot into Ubuntu just to see what's up with that.

Now, if you want to retain Ubuntu, but have the boot go to Windows first, you have to add some instructions to GRUB. I don't know how to do it, (actually never tried), but, here's an entire search page of instructions on how to do it.:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...indows&btnG=Google+Search&oq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=

Well Mr. Bill, or can I call you "Kill" for short, if you downloaded and installed Ubuntu, it would have installed its own "GRUB" boot loader. GRUB boots to Linux as first choice, and you have to use the keyboard's up/down arrows to make your choice of OS, and then hit "Enter".

The idea you can't download another distro of Linux while you're in Ubuntu is fascinating, and the next time I power down, I'll allow this machine to boot into Ubuntu just to see what's up with that.

Now, if you want to retain Ubuntu, but have the boot go to Windows first, you have to add some instructions to GRUB. I don't know how to do it, (actually never tried), but, here's an entire search page of instructions on how to do it.:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...indows&btnG=Google+Search&oq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=
it didnt help me :( my problem is whatever OS I try to download it says "Accsess Denied"

Please provide detail. Is there a problem starting your machine or getting an operating system up and running? What operating system is that? Please describe your system. What are you doing when you are told (by what?) that "Access Denied"? Is that a trying to connect somewhere issue? or Is it a trying to load new operating system issue? or is it an optical drive type of issue?

Please provide detail. Is there a problem starting your machine or getting an operating system up and running? What operating system is that? Please describe your system. What are you doing when you are told (by what?) that "Access Denied"? Is that a trying to connect somewhere issue? or Is it a trying to load new operating system issue? or is it an optical drive type of issue?
Well, as I explained to the TS, running Ubuntu has no bearing on being able to, "download a different OS".

Since I allowed THIS machine to boot to Ubuntu, and within a 1/2 hour, I had Mint Linux, OpenSUSE, and Fedora in my download folder.

"Access denied", is a Windows alert. I honestly don't know if Ubuntu shares the same wording. In Windows, as you well know, it signifies whatever task you're trying to undertake, you have insufficient privileges to complete.

So, the question becomes, how the f*** could you download Ubuntu, and wind up with insufficient privileges to access the Internet?

Ubuntu will hook right up to the web no questions asked, and comes with Firefox as its primary browser.

Beings as I'm a nasty, mean spirited, old curmudgeon, and I've seen this nonsense time and again, I have to draw the unfortunate conclusion that our TS, does not have legitimate access to the machine in question.

I of course, may be totally off base, and you of course, can proceed as you see fit. (Without of course, my assistance or interference).

Last edited:
"Access Denied" - also appears on the backroad entrance to the farm and on the end of the public path on Reigate Heath.

I suppose TS could be a brigand, I think it more likely that he is a lost one.

At this point, he should download the manual on his system from the manufacturer and read about how his system is supposed to work. He may not know if he wants/needs bootable media (CD or USB) to restore old system or to install new.

....[ ]....At this point, he should download the manual on his system from the manufacturer and read about how his system is supposed to work. He may not know if he wants/needs bootable media (CD or USB) to restore old system or to install new.
To recap. Ubuntu doesn't give a flying snot what you try to install it on, it installs. On a pre-built system done the way it's supposed to be done, you have restore discs. These are images of the OS and app installation discs. A locked BIOS (?) precludes you from installing from a Windows disc, but rather the "restore discs" with which it came.

In any case, I've had 10 years of stories, fables, and lore, about how people needed to crack the BIOS password in their Dell laptop, because the dog ate their restore discs, etc. Mercifully, I never learned how, and everybody else here that did know, was informed to "cease and desist".

Ubuntu not allowing someone to download another OS is a crock of sh!t. In fact, Ubuntu, (or other Linux distro), is usually the first line of defense against non booting Windows installations. You can run it off a CD, a USB stick, and reclaim all your files before you wipe a Windows installation. And, it will go online with FF, from a "live" (uninstalled) run.

As far as boot order goes, there's a button for that. In fact, that's something I should do the next time I start each and every one of my computers, write down that damned button's name! Not only that, the boot menu attaches to BIOS, not to Windows.

Now, if a Linux distro has been installed, GRUB makes it the first OS to boot, and you need to use the keyboard to get into Windows. The only "no access" message you'll get, is if you set a "root" password, and forgot it.

And I'm pretty darned sure, a live run doesn't either ask for, or allow a password.

Last edited:
I hear you , Captain (I'm more of a foredeck / navigator type). I'm just wondering if TS downloaded the USB (exe) version and then tried to run it from his HD. Ubuntu when it is installed and run on a Live CD allows 'guest' (no changes) and install - all in a pretty GUI. An install back on itself might be ugly if it is possible - but then I remember the gas station attendant who poured a quart of oil into my radiator.

Back