I have no idea what's going on

By MantasMG ยท 7 replies
Dec 18, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. I have been using my hard drive for just over a year now. I bought the hard drive on black Friday in 2016 and it's been working fine. Then one day after I came home from work I booted up my system it booted into windows fine (windows is on a SSD) and loaded all the programs I tried to open CS:GO which was stored on the HDD the file didn't load. so I rebooted my system and logged in straight away and no files loaded up, (before I was downstairs while my system turned on and it was on the login screen for about 2 minutes) and as soon as I logged in the hard drive stops reading files. I got a new hard drive and satta cable and I changed around the satta cables and still the same issue. Even though I have a new hard drive and have reinstalled my games there are still some files on my old hard drive that I need. Anybody have any ideas what I could do?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,065   +1,340

Boot into Safe Mode (Strike F8 once/sec) until you get the B&W screen; select Safe mode.

now try some SIMPLE tasks (CS:GO will not run)

MaikuTech likes this.
  3. Montana

Montana TS Enthusiast Posts: 35   +15

To expand on what J, O, Beard said, try doing a system restore while in safe mode.

4. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Maniac Posts: 774   +140

If it freezes up while accessing your files through documents or loading word or notepad.
    Get your windows 10 dvd-usb ready to go then peform a clean install.
    You can grab a live linux cd-dvd to copy your files to a flash drive then do a clean install as I recommended.
    If it doesn't freeze up assume its a windows update a problem go by here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r-latest/690380f9-f233-40a9-9739-3c244089a6fc

Next go ahead and shut down windows update for good, until microsoft gets there garbage 1709 act together.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.co...0-version-1709-update?forum=win10itprogeneral

https://serverfault.com/questions/6...nline-for-updates-from-windows-update-in-wind

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  5. jobeard

Let's update your status:
    1. you've installed a new HD
    2. you need some files off the old drive
    and the system now boots and runs fine.

PLEASE confirm or correct the above.

holdum323 and DavidBailey like this.
  6. jobeard

Try viewing it 1/2 full -- multiple things to look at without delay

7. JamieConway

JamieConway TS Rookie

holdum323 likes this.
  8. Try RUN to access msconfig.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting into Safe Mode can be tricky sometimes.
    Safe Mode with Networking is often suggested.

As you can see I have 2 Macrium options.
    I upgraded Macrium & got stuck with 2 of the Boot Time options.
    Both PE 10.
    If I click on either one they work.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018