I hope someone can help me with my Dell XPS 420, I was told that my processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope someone can help me with my dell xps 420, i was told that my processor could be over clocked so that it would make my pc somewhat faster!
I do not know if this can be done but would be very gratefull to anyone out there who knows about these things as i am a bit of a novice at all this but want to learn more....& fast!!
I download all of the automatic updates from windows & make sure i always have the latest graphics card drivers installed but i keep thinking that their must be a lot of other things that i could be doing to make my p.c. Run better & faster, i mainly use the pc for playing games & collecting music & movies!

If you think you could give me any information that would help me to improve my pc then please, please, please write to me & tell me what you know if you dont mind as information is everything for me these days....i need all the help i can get so i hope i will hear from someone with some positive feedback!!!!
Thanks for taking the time to read my msg whoever you are...i hope we speak soon.

Overclocking will shorten the life of your components, but it is almost expected nowadays. It is not very difficult, but screwing up is very easy, so you have to be careful. There are a lot of guides online that will show you how to OC.

If you have a Core 2 Duo\Quad\Extreme based XPS model, then your PC is likely already quite fast. You may have malware bogging down your PC, so try scanning your PC with Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and CCleaner to remove junk that may be slowing things down. Also, if you are using any Norton product released prior to 2008, uninstall it and get the far better and free Avira Antivirus instead. The best paid AV choices would be NOD32 and Kaspersky.

thanx 4 advice

Thanks for gettin in touch my friend, thankfully a few of the things you mentioned I already have in place; I use Avira anti virus & PC Tools firewall plus also, I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware & CCleaner & I have SpywareBlaster installed as well!!
I think your probably right when you say that you need to be carefull when messing with that sort of stuff so I now have had a re-think about it as the speed thing with my processor isnt that bad at all really I just sometimes think it should be better for what i have an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 6600 @2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processors.
I have had this computer now for 14 months & it cost me £600 which for me is a hell of a lot of money so I think maybe I sometimes expect a bit too much from the PC, who knows....its all a learning thing for me, well thank you again for your reply, all the best Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back