I messed up, powered on while cmos jumper set to "clear"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameJunkie72792

*Solved* I messed up, powered on while cmos jumper set to "clear"

That's right, me someone who deals mainly in hardware made such a stupid mistake.

I've never done this before so I've never had to remedy the problem.

I set the jumper to clear, went off and did a few things came back plugged it in not thinking and fired it up, the fans spun for a second and it shut off, now me being the stubborn ******* i am i continued to try and figure out why it wasnt powering up, until finally i remember oh crap, you were clearing the cmos.

The board is an old DFI Lanparty PRO875, Im using it and the hot 3.00ghz Prescott to run as my media center PC.

it was at the point where it wouldnt go past the post so i was clearing the cmos.

now, i have no clue if it can be fixed, google turned up nothing.

Please tell me i can save it, its just an old board i had lying around but it served a purpose, and it served it well.

EDIT: I guess i should be patient, i left the battery out for however long its been since i did it, powered it on a few times to no avail, then the final time it came up no problem...

I don't really know why it suddenly started working...

EDIT: I guess i should be patient, i left the battery out for however long its been since i did it, powered it on a few times to no avail, then the final time it came up no problem...

I don't really know why it suddenly started working...

Just removing the battery and replacing the battery doesn't allow the accumulated charge in the board's capacitors to dissipate. Leaving the battery out of a few hours (or overnight) wil allow the charge to dissipate or the same result can be achieved by pressing and holding down the Power button (after turning off the power at the wall)

My usual procedure is:

Remove power from the system.
Hit the power button to discharge the capacitors.
Move the CCMOS jumper to the clear position. (or press the CMOS button)
Remove the battery from the motherboard.
Spend an hour doing stuff you wouldn't be neglecting if you didn't have a computer
Replace the battery.
Place the jumper back in the normal position.
Restore power and boot up immediately into BIOS.
Select "Load Optimized Defaults" and set the recommended voltage for your RAM
Save & exit.
On reboot, go directly into BIOS and set the recommended timings for your RAM and any other options you'd like to set (i.e. boot order, voltages, power saving etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back