I need help diagnosing a memory leak

yRaz

First off, don't change this to another board. I don't know what mod always switches my posts to other boards

Anyway, so I noticed that after letting my main computer run for awhile that something eats up all my memory. At first I thought it was google chrome because I have 200+ chrome tabs open at any given time, but closing chrome didn't do that. I have 2X16gb of ram and this only happens when I'm running windows 10.

First thing I thought was I have a virus or something running so I did a virus scan, nothing popped up. Even when my memory is at 80%+, my CPU usage is still only at 1-2%.

1) what programs can I use to see where this memory is being allocated. It doesn't show up in task manager
2)this doesn't happen when I'm in Linux. I'm running Linux 90% of the time, only reason I boot into windows is for games that don't run well on Linux or applications I can't get to run in WINE.

First off, don't change this to another board. I don't know what mod always switches my posts to other boards

Anyway, so I noticed that after letting my main computer run for awhile that something eats up all my memory. At first I thought it was google chrome because I have 200+ chrome tabs open at any given time, but closing chrome didn't do that. I have 2X16gb of ram and this only happens when I'm running windows 10.

First thing I thought was I have a virus or something running so I did a virus scan, nothing popped up. Even when my memory is at 80%+, my CPU usage is still only at 1-2%.

1) what programs can I use to see where this memory is being allocated. It doesn't show up in task manager
2)this doesn't happen when I'm in Linux. I'm running Linux 90% of the time, only reason I boot into windows is for games that don't run well on Linux or applications I can't get to run in WINE.
This will probably not be much help, but my experience is that Windows, itself, has memory leaks and needs to be rebooted once in a while.

I have not read any of these links, so I do not know that they will help you, but searching reveals that there are several links with advice out there on how to find memory leaks. Shoot the messenger, if you like ;)
This second one looks like it might actually be helpful provided you ignore the parts that do not apply and keep reading.
This one may also be useful

Use Control+Alt+Delete and choose Task Manager. Click on the tab marked memory and then click on the tab to sort (indicated by the down arrow) that the big memory hog is at the top. That should help you find the culprit.

Back