I need security for my home wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_DOG73

Hi. I just bought this used wireless router and it came with the installation cd. I have set up the network using a dsl modem. I currently have my desktop hooked up to the router. My laptop is connected to the router wirelessly. When I look in network connections, it says my wireless network is unsecure.

I am able to access shared folders from the desktop on my laptop. That means anyone can access those. I have disabled sharing for now. I want to set up my network so that every computer trying to connect to the network must type a password(including my laptop).

Which program do I have to use? I've heard of WEP and WAP. I don't need anything major, just one that will not let rouge users use my network and access my files. Can I do this with security center in windows XP.

Oh yeah

I'm running Windows XP HOME SP2

The wireless router is D Link(an older one) only 11mb p/s

I know this is a dumb question with an easy answer but I haven't set up a wireless network yet and I searched google but those articles didn't really have the answer.

Anyways, let me know please. Thanks.

the router should have software to set up a WEP key on their, if not download the latest software/drivers from there site,

Dan

From here - http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-securit...-networks-1.htm

Top 10 Security Tips for Home Wi-Fi Networks

1.Change your router's access name and password.

2.Don't let users piggyback onto your Wi-Fi net -- turn off peer-to-peer connections.

3.Stop broadcasting your router's network ID.

4.Approve all wireless network users in advance.

5.Turn on wireless data encryption.

6.Periodically check router logs for rogue users.

7.Use a strong firewall.

8.Password-protect your computers and files.

9.Put your wireless network on its own subnet.

10.Turn off wireless cards and routers when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back