I think my mobo fried/died, how can i tell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was installing my 8800gts yesterday and after having a few issues with detecting my Raid array i finally figured out that I had accidentally unplugged the power to one of the hdd's. Anyways, I plugged that back in along with my gts and powered on. It worked fine initially and made into bios, where my mobo was able to detect my raid array. Assuming myself done with tinkering, I closed my case up (put the side on), and at about the instant I put it into place, my computer lost power and died, and would not power up again. At first I thought maybe I jostled some power connection, but this doesn't seem to be the case. When I plug in the power cord and turn on the PSU, everything flashes on and off for a splitsecond, including my CPU fan and gts, but this has happened for as long as I've had the computer. I tested the PSU and that still works fine, and so does the CPU. I'm pretty sure the RAM isn't the issue, and it definitely isn't the card. I thought the power button might have gotten disconnected but I don't think that's it either. I'm pretty sure my mobo just died flat out, I just wanted some way to confirm this before I go out and buy a new one.
Oh, and also when I plug in the power cord and turn on the PSU the little green light on the mobo turns on.

The Motherboard is probably dead. This happened to me once. Back when I didnt know like anything about computers like 2 years ago, somehow i forgot my power was on (Dont ask), and I unplugged a HD Power Cable and like everything died. You could try all the other hardware in different PC's to troubleshoot the problem.

This is very interesting. You wouldn't happen to be using an Antec PSU by any chance? I had this flashing until the PSU finally died but funnily enough I couldn't tell until I actually replaced it under warranty. When I first noticed this flash on powering up I contacted Antec and was told everything was normal but my new unit doesn't do it. Cheers.

When you put the cover on i wonder if you accidentally shorted the system. I've seen it happen before. Is the mobo definitely secured on its gold coloured screws and NOT in danger of touching the case sides?

Did you test all of those parts in another machine? By adding that 8800 you are taxing that PSU a lot more now. I think maybe it can't stay on and quits before anything does fry (including itself).

The PSU might be Antec, it was stock so I don't actually know and havn't checked, the mobo is probably not touching the case sides as I can see it sitting on the gold things. I've been using this computer for about 2 years anyways and its been fine, I was just upgrading it. I also tried removing the 8800 and it didn't make a difference. I tested the CPU, RAM, PSU, and HDDs in other computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back