I think my motherboard is blown

Wheety

Hi

Yesterday while I was in work my brother was on my pc. He said he knocked over a glass of water but none got into the pc. He said he knocked off the power straight away.

When I came home I opened up the pc and couldn't see any water. There was a strange smell coming from it though. I turned it on and it worked and I was able to log in. But the Internet wasn't working.

I thought this might be because I had unplugged everything and put them back so I restarted the pc.The pc just kept restarting and nothing was coming up on the monitor. It didn't even show the bios screen.

I opened it up again to have a proper look and I unplugged the 12v connection. There was a tiny amount of water on it. Then I noticed something on my motherboard had blown. It's one of those small black squares.Some brown fluid seems to have leaked from it too.

The case is an Antec 300 so obviously the water got through the top fan.

Is my motherboard ruined or can it be fixed?

Thanks.

It's ruined unless you're able to locate the damaged parts and successfully solder them to the board in the exact way it was before the damage. Time for a new motherboard and maybe a new brother.

I thought as much. Looks like the brother will be paying for a new motherboard.

I have read on the Internet, while trying to find a solution for this, that those small black components need to be placed and soldered on the board by machine as they are so small?

I doubt I'd be even able to find the right part so looks like I'll have to get a brand new motherboard so :(

There is a slight chance that you can fix it if you can find exactly the same part and if the solder points are not too small. Soldering stuff onto things as small as the parts you fin on modern computers ca be very tricky as you are more likely to do more damage than you fix. I have had a similar problem before with a simple capacitor breaking off my mother board that I was able to fix, but I just taped it to use the pressure to hold the contact on until I found somebody better at soldering than I was. It worked for a while, But eventually broke again and I forced to by a new computer anyway.

Back