I want to build my next computer, where do I start?

BillAllen55

As the title suggests, I'm interested in building my next computer myself. The last computer that I purchased was approximately six years ago and I was not the current 'latest and greatest' at that time. I have gone through reviews have looked at different websites. I have to tell you the more I look at different options the more frustrated I become regarding what is the proper components I need for my specific use.

I enjoy the internet, Microsoft Office. I liked viewing and storing my camera pictures. And I enjoy listening to music files on my machine. I don't have a need for tremendous speed or capabilities. I would just appreciate someone giving me some suggestions without the typical 'computer geek' jargon that for the laymen at times can be very difficult to decipher.
Specifically, I'm interested in direction regarding the computer box, power supply, motherboard amount of memory speed of the processor, heat sink AND Am I allowed to put my current installation disk of XP Home edition on a new build? I thank you in advance for reading and whatever assistance may be available.

Try this build:
Grand Total = $303.92 without considering shipping on some items (Shipping is free for most of them). A nice sturdy system that will last long and will do everything you want it to effortlessly. It gives you expansion options too, with a PCI Express slot on the motherboard and a PSU capable of supporting any card upto an 8800GT (Just in case you think of delving into the addiction that is PC gaming ;)).

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

What are the conditions required when using Windows XP?

Thank you very much for your fine suggestions and the time you spent researching this.
I appreciate this very much!

I would like to use the same XP Home edition CD Disk that came with my current PC.
Will Microsoft allow me to transfer the installation disk to my new system?
Thanks again for your time.

Back