IE nor Firefox are working!! for the love of God help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys am desperate (lol) today I tried to use my computer´s firefox and immediately it told me that google.com didn´t work or that I typed it wrong then when I tried using IE it gave me this message on the address bar:
res://nhbbk.dll/http_404.htm
I dunno what to do and I need to use it to do my college homework (here in Guatemala we don't actually live in college but at our parent´s)

thanks a lot!!!

Sounds like you've been hijacked.
A URL starting with "res://" means that it just ran that DLL file on your hard drive.

You need to run over the entire suite of spyware/adware/virus cleaning tools for which you can find various tuturials on this forum.

If you can't get online at all or go to ANY pages. Check your ISP info. Without being able to go online there may be little you can do without having another system online to get files from.

Give us one test and then some more details surrounding your problem, such as what caused it and so forth.

Go to start-run and type "cmd" if you're on 2000 or XP. Or type "command" if on 9x. Once in console mode, type "ping www.google.com" and tell us what it says.
Also type "ipconfig /all" and tell us what that says.

Lastly, who is your ISP (Internet provider)? High speed? Dialup?

Thanks

I have to translate it cuz it´s in spanish so I dunno if this will be of much help
ping www.google.com says: the ping solicitude could not find the www.google.com host. Make sure the name is correct and try again

ipconfig/all says:
Sufix of specific connection DNS:
Description: VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Adress: 00-05-5D-6C-6C-FC
DHCP qualified: No
Autoconfiguration qualified: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP adress: 169.254.114.202
Subnetwork mask: 255.255.0.0
Puerta de enlace determinada (dunno how to translate it):

I use a cable modem

Well your computer is not receiving a proper IP address.

I would suggest a power cycle of your stuff.

Turn off the computer
Turn off the cable modem
Turn off the router if you have one

Wait 30 seconds
Turn on Cable modem ( wait 30 seconds or until lights are properly lit)
Turn on router if you have it. (wait 30 seconds)
Turn on PC
Try Internet again.

If it still doesn't work, run "ipconfig /all" again and see what the IP address is. If it is 169.254... then it is wrong. Your computer is not receiving an IP from the modem, or from the router.

If you have windows 9x you can click start-run and type "winipcfg". When that opens, select your VIA Rhine III from the drop down box. The click the "Renew" button and see if it gets a different IP address. If it still doesn't, then your cable modem or router may have a problem. Call your ISP.

If you have XP, you can go start-run and type "cmd". Then type "ipconfig /renew" and see what happens.

Basically, if your IP address is 169.254 then your router/modem is not talking.
Make sure the lights are lit properly on the devices. Check the user manuals to find out what they are.
If not then there is the problem. Although there is a small chance that even your network card is bad. But we won't go there yet :)

Hope that helps

Desperate123 said:
res://nhbbk.dll/http_404.htm
That dll file alone tells you that the computer has been infected with malware. There are literally tons of threads about how to remove spyware & adware from Windows in this forum.

Actually, the only valid dll file I can think of right now, using res:// protocol, is shdocvw.dll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back